Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is there a way to not key our amp when the antenna is being tuned

Dennis Daniel KM6DF
Dennis Daniel KM6DF Member ✭✭

I need a way to not key my amp when I use the tune button. Any ideas 

Dennis KM6DF

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Stand by? If your amp has STBY,, or DDUTIL
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Dennis we need more info then you provided like what type of Amp do you use DDutil etc. The easy answer put your Amp in standby. Ian
  • Marv
    Marv Member
    edited February 2017

Most any amp that I am aware of has a Standby switch.

Marv W0ZK

• Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    edited May 2018

I should have added more info. to start i have a flex 6500 and running a Amertron als-1306 through a HF-Auto. What would be nice is when you push the tune button it does not triger the RCA TX1 this way the amp will not TX at high SWR when you are tuning. I have DDutil setup so when I change bans it will defalt to standby but you have to manually turn it back to operate eash time it would be nice if it would do it from the tune botton.

thanks

Dennis

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Dennis.. I assume the HF Auto you mention is an automatic tuner external to the ALS1306?  If so, it should have a key line in and out (most do) that will also open the key line to the amp while the Tuner is actually tuning.    Many of the better power wattmeters such as the LP100 and or the Array Solutions wattmeters have a feature that will prevent the amp from keying when a manually preset SWR value is reached.

Regards

Larry  k1UO

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Later HF-Auto tuners no longer have the keying line.  While Dennis' request is an interesting one, I plan to just switch the amp to "Standby" when tuning.  There are enough software keyed items (like XIT) that don't "take" when first selected that I would not want to trust the SSDR software with this one, for sure!
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Dennis I use DDutil and just turn Amp to standby with that program when I hit the Tune button. There doesn't seem to be a Macro for it to automatically do this for you. Ian
  • Joe, KQ1Q
    Joe, KQ1Q Member
    edited April 2015
    I have an Elecraft KPA500 amp and KAT500 auto-tuner which supposedly uses the 6300's Tx relay to inhibit the amp when tuning (key line method). The signal path is 6300 Tx relay out -> KAT500 PTT relay in-> KAT500 PTT relay out -> KPA500 PA key. However it doesn't work right and often causes a fault on the KAT500 tuner. The only way to make the KAT500 tune reliably is put the amp in standby, tune per the normal procedure, then put the amp back on line.
  • VE2MBT
    VE2MBT Member
    edited November 2019
    The way i do it is with a footswicth from Heil... i have the FS2, this one KEY the amp just beofre the radio... so when i press TUNE, i can tune my AT-1000 pro 2 tuner with 15 watt ( preset ) and when ready, i just press the pedal, i can then do the TUNE and LOAD of the amérotron, i then release the pedal and tune button and ready to transmit safe and full power
  • N3HQB
    N3HQB Member
    edited April 2015
    Put a toggle switch in the PTT keying line from the Flex to the amp.  Disable PTT connection to the amp while tuning.
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    edited December 2016
    Update on my question. I have setup DDUtil and it controls the ALS-1306 so everytime i change the band and retune my SkyLoop it will put the amp into standby and I can tune the HF-ATO as normal however you must put it back into operate from DDUtil. I was hoping to make it more automatic when you use the tune button in the SmartSRD software. It would seem to be somthing simple to do though the SmartSDR software.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Dennis 
    That behavior, sounds like you have BOBC enabled in DDUtil which will force the PTT relay to standby on a band change. Uncheck that and it will likely remain in Operate on band changes if that's the behavior your after.

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.