Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is there a version of SmartSDR that runs on an IPad with IOS 9.3.5?

James Charlton
James Charlton Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for iOS
I have an IPad 3 running ISO 9.3.5 and I would like to run Smart SDR-IOS on it.  But, the current  SmartSDR requires an IOS of 10.0 or higher.

Is there an older version of Smart SDR that will run on on my Ipad and will operate my 6600M remotely?? 

According to the folks at Apple Help my IPad can't be upgraded.
Regards,
Jim Charlton   AD0AB

Answers

• Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    Hi, unfortunately, when newer version are available on the AppStore, older version are more available. 73 de Jeff | VA2SS
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thanks, I was afraid of that.  It's not a big problem because I have SmartSDR for windows running on a laptop.  But the Ipad screen is nicer.
    Regards,
    Jim
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The fellow who wrote the app said you need an iPad 4th generation or newer to run his program.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I bought an ipad 6 gen it was half the price of a maestro with less issues.
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the heads up.  A friend of mine runs his 6400 from an IPad and it works great.  It's a lot easier to use than my Windows laptop that does not have a tuoch screen.
    Regards,
    Jim
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    What issues Wayne? I have no ongoing issues with my Maestro, I use it every night and I have knobs. It's a nice change of pace from a mouse to actually turn knobs from time to time.

• Terry K7NY
    Terry K7NY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi Jim, I have a old Ipad 2 running 9.3.5 that I use around the house with the latest SDR-IOS. The i pad2 is under powered so I don't use the water fall and turn down some of the display setting. If u aready have SDR-ISO give it a try.
    Terry
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This is strange as I also have the older Ipad and the Apple store wont' even let me download it so I had to buy a new Ipad. Tell me your secret
  • Ron WD5FUN
    Ron WD5FUN Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Jim,

I am running SmartSDR IOS on an I-pad 2.  When I tried to download the current version I received a message advising me that I had to have IOS 10.0, however it asked if I wanted to download a compatible version.  I did download the old version and it works just fine.  You can only use it on your LAN, but I operate all over the house.  When you start the program you are advised that a new version is available, so you must cancel the offer for update.
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Than you.
    It appears that the app store has changed.  I just tried downloading the app again and got the original message that I needed IOS 10.0 or higher, but it did not offer a compatible version.  I tried all the buttons etc.  It had notes about previous versions, but no offer to download anything.
    Thanks,
    Jim
  • Ron WD5FUN
    Ron WD5FUN Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Maybe it was because I already paid and had downloaded the current version to my iPhone.  I don't know, strange.
  • W7KHZ
    W7KHZ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I have an iPad 3 with 9.3.5 and downloaded the app a couple months ago with no errors or issues. I saw the same warnings on the Flex Community about versions but did not have a problem. But this was before a couple of tweaks took place in the V 2 SMartSDR software. The app shows that it is: SmartSDR App version A1.2.8:0.50 Database version D1.29 (23.4.2018) Updated for the new App Version 2.4 But when looking at the App Store it looks like this old version is no longer supported and it now requires 10.0 for version 1.5.1. I have a **** yard of iPads and iPhones because of these Apple forced migrations at the house. Looks like this one is headed that way also and I need to look for another one or a used one again that will support V10 iOS. I hate it but have found the benefits have outweighed this dark side of Apple. At least for me.
  • Terry K7NY
    Terry K7NY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I was using old version before updating also.
    Mine is App version: A1.0.8:0.37
    Database version: D1.6 (13.10.2016)
    Updated for the new App Version 2.4
    Terry
  • BL7IB
    BL7IB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Oh no.   I have my new radio on the way.    but seems my iPad3 cannot use SSDR

https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-for-ios-brochure/ say ios9 works but my iPad3 no longer accept SmartSDR.

Is there any workaround?    Some info from the web say if one purchase some app with newer Apple deivce of the same AppleID, Apple appstore would tolerate his or her old device to get the old version app.     Does this hack work with SSDR?

Rocky

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2019
    Rocky, unfortunately the iPad 3 is no longer supported by SmartSDR for IOS. The older version of SmartSDR is no longer available on the App Store. New iPads here in the U.S. can be purchased for $329 + tax for a 32 GB WiFi model. You might be able to find last year’s model cheaper new if a merchant has any stock of the older model. People are always upgrading and you might be able to find someone selling an older model capable of running at least IOS 10 at a reasonable price. Just some thoughts. Dave wo2x
  • BL7IB
    BL7IB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thank you for your suggestion.

One of the reason to choose FlexRadio is (the outdated product flyer say) it can utilize my iPad3.     But most importantly, because my XYL don't know it is a transceiver, it looks like a computer ;)

I have iPad ver 2017 (exclusively for my son's e-learning), iPad3 (for web browsing), iPad1 (perfectly working VNC+TeamView client!)

Is a cheap X86 tablet a good alternative?     Does it require much computation power to run SSDR?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2019
    I’ve tried a Dell Windows 10 based tablet with Intel M5 processor and dedicated video. It works fine. The Centrino based tablets will struggle. Dave wo2x
  • BL7IB
    BL7IB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

For information, I just installed the old version of SmartSDR to my iPad3.

I need to install SmashSDR to an iPhone6 under the same Apple ID first, and use iPad3 AppStore to find SmartSDR from "Not in this device" list.     Then AppStore allow me to download old version into my iPad3.

I haven't pay for in-app purchase yet.   

Added note: 2019.8.12 : no Audio with iPad3 , normal with iPhone7

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.