Is there a reason that filter knob modes are not mode specific?

• Question
  • Updated 12 months ago
  • Answered
Is there a reason that the knob mode for filters (High/Low and Center/Width) are not specific to operating mode?

It would seem that in SSB the mode it should default to High/Low and in CW default to Center/Width.

I can be operating CW using Center/Width mode and when I drop back to SSB and go to change filter it gets all jacked up because I did not change the knob modes back. 

Maybe my operating methods are different/wrong but seems the knob mode should follow the actual operating mode.

Rich
kd0zv
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1077 Posts
  • 227 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated !

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 719 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Official Response
It is just the way that it is implemented today -- you can choose either option (high/low cut vs center/width adjustments) in any mode.  We could certainly change this if there is overwhelming support to make it follow the mode selection.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1077 Posts
  • 227 Reply Likes
Thanks Eric. I just could not figure out why anyone would not want it to default to the most commonly used mode.

Rich
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 318 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
I agree with you 100% Rich. The vast majority of CW operators will want Ctr/width, and the vast majority of SSB operators will want Hi/low cut. These functions should be mode specific and allow the small minority to change the function if they wish. The tail should not be wagging the dog.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 542 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Honestly makes total sense what Rich is saying. I would've thought the same thing. I cast my vote for it.
(Edited)
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1077 Posts
  • 227 Reply Likes
Well, I hope they fix it :)

I only have two annoyances with the radio. Otherwise, I am thrilled. The other annoyance is the global profiles are buried too deep.  Hoping they fix that too.