Is there a "How to" article on wiring the accessory connector for AFSK RTTY

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
I think the title says it all, but would be interested in a step by step on setting up the Flex for RTTY including which pins on the accessory connector to wire to the terminal unit (notice I said TU)..

As for pin numbers, my first swag would be pin 1 for AFSK coming from the TU, pin 2 (or 3) for audio out going to the TU, and then pin 14 to be grounded (probably by a switch) for PTT.

The on the SmartSDR window should I click on the "+ACC"  button or just select "Line" as the AF Input source, or do I need both.

There will be a "real" TTY on the other side of the TU, not a "glass TTY" using software emulation of a TTY.  So I believe there will be no need for DAX.  Or am I wrong? 

Steve G./N4TTY
Photo of Steve - N4TTY

Steve - N4TTY

• 103 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 1154 Posts
  • 340 Reply Likes
Hi Steve

Not many use a TU anymore, but you are correct in your layout (I did not look at the hardware manual).  

I believe your audio in would be ACC.  

DAX would not be required since you are not using a computer to decode.  

This method is used to hook up any hardware modem or TU.  If you search on the community, you will find others that have done it.

Which TU are you using?  I have a PK900  that I really need to sell.

Mike va3mw
Photo of Steve - N4TTY

Steve - N4TTY

• 103 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thanks Mike!

I'm using a HAL ST-6. It will also drive the 120v/60ma loop to the TTY. On Jan 1, there is a somewhat new event referred to as GKN (Green Key Night) that is similar to SKN (Straight Key Night). It is a chance for us die hard real heavy metal TTY guys to get on the air with each other.

I also have a Dovetron TU that I tried to use last year in the ARRL RTTY Roundup, but was unsuccessful in getting it to work.

I'll post how I make out after the first of the year as I try to marry this combination of old and new technology.

Steve G./N4TTY
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 1154 Posts
  • 340 Reply Likes
Darn

Now, if I still had my Model 28 TTY and the tube TU, that would be cool, but they are both long gone for scrap.   It wasn't even a KSR.

Mike va3mw
Photo of Don Cunningham

Don Cunningham

• 37 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Michael,
Is FSK possible on SSDR version 2??  Probably not too many of us old dinosaurs, but I prefer FSK RTTY when I go digital.  NICE 28 KSR you had there.  I sure miss mine.
Thanks,
Don, WB5HAK
Photo of Steve - N4TTY

Steve - N4TTY

• 103 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Don.

FSK is not available, but from the things I've been reading it may not be for some time to come, if ever.  Some have even made the comment that the AFSK on the Flex is so good that they are now converts.  I've never used either, so I can't say one way or another.  But it looks like I am all connected as of this morning, so I just need someone to converse with so I can try out AFSK.

I have copied off the air before, but never transmitted.  But just a few minutes ago I flipped the switch to TX and typed a few RY's and my call sign and it appeared that i was transmitting (then I remembered to turn TX off!).  Didn't actually call CQ as I just wanted to see if it was transmitting.  Now to make some CQ tapes so I don't make as many mistakes with the fat fingers and the many years since using a Baudot keyboard,  LTRS, FIGS, CR, & LF still get my fingers confused at times.

Steve G./N4TTY
Photo of Don Cunningham

Don Cunningham

• 37 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I was afraid of that, Steve.  It's just hard with AFSK to give a frequency to meet on and actually being ON that frequency without doing the math.  I guess I just got used to FSK after all those years.  If I had my gear hooked up, I'd make a sked with you, but I'll email when I do get it running in the next week and maybe we can meet.  I'll probably use the Kenwood TS-990, as it's already wired for the HAL.
73 and thanks for the reply,
Don, WB5HAK
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 1154 Posts
  • 340 Reply Likes
Official Response
We will likely stay with AFSK (subject to change -- or not).  

What I have learned is that since the AFSK signal stays in the digital domain going into FSK is not required.

Mike
Photo of Don Cunningham

Don Cunningham

• 37 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Mike,
Then a "dumb question", if I ask you to meet me on 14.085.5 and we both put our Flex radios right on that frequency, will we be able to communicate??  With past rigs, the answer would be no, UNLESS we both were running FSK.  Just curious, as if the Flex adjusts for that shift difference, it would be just fine as the rig seems "clean" enough.
Thanks,
Don, WB5HAK
Photo of Neal Pollack, N6YFM

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 272 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Guys:

Even if the frequency ends up being off a little bit, don't forget you have a spectrum display
and waterfall, you will see clear as day where to tune.  It's not like a RTTY contest this week, 
so if there is ANY signal displayed, it is likely your friend :-)

For the person asking about RTTY set-up for AFSK on FLEX:

https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/flex-6000-rtty-configuration-n1mm/

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204188169-Configuring-N1MM-to-use-MMTTY-with-a-FLEX...

http://viennawireless.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Setting-Up-Digital-Mode-Software-on-the-Flex...

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/rtty-setup-help-with-mmtty

Next, all we need is a few sun spots, or else a 75kW xmit amp given the
current solar conditions :-)

Cheers,

Neal
N6YFM
Photo of Steve - N4TTY

Steve - N4TTY

• 103 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Good links to have Neal, but they don't fit for what I've been trying to accomplish. I'm not using the built in digital stuff provided by DAX.  I'm physically connecting a terminal unit (TU) to the accessory port of the Flex.  In my case it is a HAL ST-6.  As it turns out it is rather straight forward, but not having done it before and having had things working as they should I was just a little bit uneasy treading in uncharted waters and was hoping to find a step by step.  Once I get everything working and tested maybe I should provide one!

Steve G./N4TTY