Is the Maestro going to be bound to a single Flex 6000?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I'm hoping that the Maestro isn't going to be locked to a single Flex 6000.   Some folks may have a 6000 at home and another at their cabin or second home.  Will it be possible to use the Maestro with either of the 6000's?
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 745 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jon  W1JDB

Jon W1JDB

• 146 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Norm,

Based on an earlier posting by Steve N5AC (and you cannot find a better source than him) the Maestro will connect with any 6000 series radio one at a time. The caveat is that the Maestro must be running the same version of SmartSDR as the radio as stated below:

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering
Official Response

The general concept for licensing is that the radio holds the license.  So if you upgrade the radio, any Maestro that comes in contact with that radio can run the software licensed for that radio when it's running on that radio.  So if you have, say v1.5, on your radio and Maestro and you go to your buddy's house and he has v2.0, your Maestro can upgrade to v2.0 and run on your buddy's radio.  When you return home, the Maestro will tell you that it will need to downgrade to run on your radio and so you will need to downgrade.

Hope this helps.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3403 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
Yes. It can be used by different radios
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 745 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Thanks Howard!  I was recently at a hamfest and thought I understood that the Maestro is bound to the 6000 via the serial number.  I'm glad you cleared that up.....  I got a chance to play with one for a little bit.  All I can say is that it is a very well engineered piece of gear.  Last week I received my batteries and am all ready to go.  I can't wait to get my Maestro!