Is the Auto Save "Feature" still in ver 3.1.7 and 2.6.0

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago

Has the Auto Save “Feature” been changed to include an On/Off switch or completely removed from the latest versions of SmartSDR (v3.1.7 and v2.6.0)?

If not I still won’t be upgrading SmartSDR.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 830 Posts
  • 367 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Ken Wells

Ken Wells, Employee

• 45 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
The new releases for V.2 & V.3 still have the Auto-save feature.

If you wish to maintain the use of the previous version that does NOT have this function, your can still benefit from the upgrade and the fixes for DAX by following this procedure:

1) Download and install the new version to your COMPUTER and reboot the computer.  This will install the new DAX Drivers to your computer.

2) Do NOT RUN it, and do not install (Upgrade) it to your radio.

3) Hide the shortcut to the new version of SmartSDR.

4) Open and run your favorite version of SmartSDR.

5) Enjoy the new Dax Drivers with your previous version of SmartSDR.

Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 327 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
But you can't do this with an M model running 2.3.9 or can you?
Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 327 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
I was just going to post that same question. After reading the change log I do not see it.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 830 Posts
  • 367 Reply Likes

In my opinion the “Auto Save” feature not having an On/Off option is a big fail for SmartSDR.

Please, Please PLEASE add an On\Off option in a future version on SmartSDR.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 830 Posts
  • 367 Reply Likes
Sticking with v2.4.9 until I can turn off the Auto Save "Feature"
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 530 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
John, I also complained about the auto save feature and stayed on 2.4.9 until my radio came back from Flex service with 2.5.1 installed on it by mistake.  I was too lazy to unistall and just rolled with it.  The auto save feature has not caused any issue for me.  It only effects TX and MIC profiles which I rarely mess with.  Give it a try !  Life is too short to run 2.4.9 :)  -Joe
Photo of ai6re

ai6re

• 108 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Who decided to add the auto save feature to SSDR? I never saw a user request from the Flex community. I see a bunch of requests for the on/off switch. Have you now decided to just ignore community requests?

The solution to run old versions of SSDR is crazy. 
(Edited)
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 830 Posts
  • 367 Reply Likes
The part that makes this so called "Feature" bad is you can not disable it if you choose too?
And yes NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS "Feature"?

I want to upgrade to v 3.1.7 and have $199 burning a hole in my pocket for months since v3.0 came out but I can't and won't until I can turn OFF the auto save "Feature"!
(Edited)
Photo of Gary NC3Z

Gary NC3Z

• 175 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Maybe it's time for Flex to poll it's customers on this horrible feature!
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 524 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
Here is a post from Flex explaining why "they" implemented auto save.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/profile-auto-save-discussion
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 524 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
Flex conducted a user survey about five months ago to collect thoughts and ideas from its customers about requested features.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 825 Posts
  • 364 Reply Likes
"Flex conducted a user survey about five months ago to collect thoughts and ideas from its customers about requested features."

And then totally ignored it???
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1198 Posts
  • 251 Reply Likes
I have to be honest, I am surprised the auto-save fix is not in this release.  I am glad to have the DAX issue fixed but that is all I netted from this update. As far as I know anyway.
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1077 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
 I was hoping, just a bit, that, maybe, the ANF would get fixed. But, there is nothing in the Change Log, indicating it was worked on. And, no All Mode Squelch either.
Not the end of the world, as I found a nice Times Microwave 599 outboard Filter that has an excellent Automatic Notch Filter.
Maybe someday!.
until then, I will keep plugging away on my test app.
James
WD5GWY
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 825 Posts
  • 364 Reply Likes

Yes very disappointing indeed, I thought after all of these months and all of the negative feedback on this they would have fixed this issue in this latest version. Clearly from the last few threads on this is the users want the option to turn OFF or ON the Auto-Save feature.

This was not a good idea to begin with, no one asked for it and not having the ability to turn OFF/On is just plain silly.

You can read past comments here:
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/profile-auto-save-discussion
(Edited)
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 830 Posts
  • 367 Reply Likes

Will FlexRadio be addressing this issue in a future update of SSDR, I know you cannot give an exact time or date but we would just like to know if there will ever be an OFF/ON option in the future?
Photo of John KB4DU

John KB4DU

• 166 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
I asked Steve Hicks about this during the Flex forum at the Huntsville hamfest. The response paraphrased was about half the users liked it, and about half didn't. I think this was based on help desk data. When I asked about a switch or option, the response was "I get it".

I suspect that the way Flex implemented the save function was at each point that a variable was changed,which would mean that an option switch would have to be examined at each of those points, rather than just once before a given profile is saved.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 830 Posts
  • 367 Reply Likes
"I asked Steve Hicks about this during the Flex forum at the Huntsville hamfest. The response paraphrased was about half the users liked it, and about half didn't. I think this was based on help desk data."

@John

Sounds to me like 50/50 = 50% ON/ 50% OFF is the exact solution!!!
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4251 Posts
  • 1020 Reply Likes
John, sometimes things go ahead of others for many reasons, Flex has already answered your question. Eric said they have been working on a reselution to this.

This update with the dax problem with windows updates that Microsoft has been unable to tackle is a very important one. Each time a Windows update happens the Help Desk is bombarded with calls for help. Fixing this Dax problem is very important as it effects everyone on Win 10.

This update not only helps those on V3, V2 but even those still on V1.Top marks  to Flex for not forgeting V1 customers.

Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 530 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
The DAX issue was probably not a Microsoft problem. Flex fixed “their” DAX driver. I agree this is an important fix and a welcome one. We shall see what happens with the next Microsoft feature upgrade next spring?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4251 Posts
  • 1020 Reply Likes
Joe, the Win updates did not only effect Flex, but a host of other companies having things scrambled. I read were an article will be published as how Microsoft and Flex worked together to remedy the problem.
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 530 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
I don’t have any doubt Flex worked with Microsoft to understand and fix the DAX issue. Looking forward to reading more about it.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 830 Posts
  • 367 Reply Likes
Just so we don't get too off topic.

Will FlexRadio be addressing the Auto-Save issue in a future update of SSDR, I know you cannot give an exact time or date but we would just like to know if there will ever be an OFF/ON option in the future?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3799 Posts
  • 1658 Reply Likes
Simple Answer. Flex never commits in public about future features.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4251 Posts
  • 1020 Reply Likes
And again, Flex said they are looking into a solution. But I don't see them commit to a on/off option. Eric said as simple as that sounds to you and me he said that would be very complicated to do.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 830 Posts
  • 367 Reply Likes
AutoSave on/off feature in next version of SDR PLEASE!
Thanks.
Happy holidays!