Is the Apple Ipod Mini4 128g screen large enough to run RTTY on the Ios app?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 538 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Matt (K0KB)

Matt (K0KB)

• 85 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Sure! But what are you going to use to decode and send?
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 538 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Let me preface by saying I have never looked at or considered IOS before and know virtually nothing about it so I am going to go out on a limb and presume that was a dumb question.

Let me back up and ask if I would be better off running a Windows laptop with ssdr and MMTTY via DAX. Matt my internet connection is too slow for external remote,. I only want to play in a RTTY test from the living room on the local LAN. Making nice with my xyl occasionally gets me new toys, I.E. Flex 6600, Ha!
Photo of Matt (K0KB)

Matt (K0KB)

• 85 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Clay, I am a big fan of iOS and the smart SDR app for iOS. However, they do not decode or encode rtty. For that you still need something on a computer like MMTTY. Now, there is something to be said for having smartSDR on an iPad or iPad mini and using a Windows laptop to decode, log and encode your RTTY signal. You could run it all on the laptop including smartSDR though and not buy an iPad at all. I find doing all of that stuff on my laptop screen to be a bit cluttered. Making nice with the XYL is a worthwhile venture. I’m sure either way you go will be a step in the right direction versus disappearing to the shack for hours on end.

You could always buy an iPad locally and if it doesn’t suit you, return it in the normal return window.
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1590 Posts
  • 555 Reply Likes
Yes, if you wish, but for lengthy operation, I would really go for a larger screen.

Operating digital modes with an iPad and SSDR for iOS is pretty much not possible, but...

Remote desktop access works wonders. I have made probably 1000's of digital QSOs by remoting into my home computer using my iPad or even iPhone. 

SSDR for iOS is fine on phone, and even CW. Have picked up a new DXCC or three from my iPad using the CWX utility in SSDR.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 538 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Thanks George,
Are you saying remote a Windows machine with an iPod like running Windows remote desktop froma laptop ?
OK I'm getting a clearer picture on how to better go about this.
I already have the laptop, time to do some experimenting.
George, Matt thank you for your input gentleman.
73'