Is the 6600 corruptible from power loss?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
The idea is simple. I can remotely switch the power to my 12 volt supply. This will cause the radio to turn off. At the same time the Dow-Key relay will default the antenna port into the dummy load. This will protect the radio from weather. This raises two questions.

1.     Will this corrupt the firmware or programming in the 6600?

2.     When I switch the supply back on will the radio start? my 6500 would not, I would have to be on location to restart it.

Thanks for the help. Dan KM6CQ

Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 159 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Craig - KØCF

Craig - KØCF

• 116 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
The 6500 power on/off is fully remotely controllable. There is an input on the back labelled "REM ON". To use this, you must enable "Remote On" on the SmartSDR Radio Setup dialog "Radio" tab.

To turn the radio on, apply 13.8 v to the radio, then short this connector. To turn the radio off, remove the short from "REM ON", wait about a half minute, then remove the 13.8 V.

I use a cheap 110V operated SPDT relay by Digital Loggers, available from Amazon for about $8, and a WiFi power strip with 4 independently controlled outlets (about $30 at Amazon). The relay comes with a standard power cord which plugs into the outlet strip. The 13.8 V power supply is plugged into another outlet on the strip. The WiFi power strip has iOS and Android apps available to control it.

This is all in the manuals, but not easy to find.

Craig, KØCF
Photo of Tim Ellam

Tim Ellam

• 216 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes

"I use a cheap 110V operated SPDT relay by Digital Loggers, available from Amazon for about $8, and a WiFi power strip with 4 independently controlled outlets (about $30 at Amazon)."

Craig to you connect the DL relay directly to the REM jack? 

Tim VE6SH

Photo of Craig - KØCF

Craig - KØCF

• 116 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Yes, The "Normally OPEN" and "common" terminals on the relay connect to an RCA audio cable, which plugs into the "REM ON" jack on the radio. Shield to one terminal, center conductor to the other. Polarity doesn't matter.
Photo of Tim Ellam

Tim Ellam

• 216 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes

Thanks Craig. I was not clear if the relay could be connected directly to the jack.

Tim

Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 159 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Hey thank you Craig. I sold the 6500 to fund the 6600. So I hope it is the same with the 6600. 

Dan
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9130 Posts
  • 3453 Reply Likes
It is.
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1538 Posts
  • 546 Reply Likes
I’d caution against using the 12 V supply as the on-off switch. Pressing the radio switch, or using the remote jack, allows for an orderly shutdown and state memory. Leaving the power connected also keeps the TCXO or GPSDO running, improving frequency accuracy and stability. Finally, switching at the power supply can potentially lead to odd conditions brought on by low voltages (as the output decays) and/or transients on power-up.

Yes, it will “work,” but the better way to remotely turn things on and off is by using the remote jack and a network-controlled relay. For safety and peace of mind, it’s not bad to have a remote power supply disconnect, but don’t use it to turn the rig on and off.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9130 Posts
  • 3453 Reply Likes
This is sage advice.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 969 Posts
  • 343 Reply Likes
Agree with George.  Cycling the 12V is a last resort if things are hung.  I have the ability to toggle first the Rem on/off.  If that doesn't work then I can power cycle the 12v remotely.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9130 Posts
  • 3453 Reply Likes
+1
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 155 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
I have an 8 outlet Digital Loggers unit that I have programmed to power various radios in the shack (I also have another one for computers).  I know it is preferred to shut down my 6300 via the remote jack on the radio, but I have been powering my radio up and down via the 120 VAC application to the 13.8 VDC supply feeding the radio.  This has happened on a daily basis for at least two years and I have never had any ill effects from it.  I also use the DL unit to remotely power cycle the 6300 if needed.  SSDR/DAX/CAT are never running at power down.  If powering down this way can cause problems, I can attest that it hasn't at this QTH.  Maybe I'm just on borrowed time!