Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is the 6300 Discontinued?

Rick  WN2C
Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I noticed the 6300 is no longer on the Flex Signature series buy page. Has it been discontinued or replaced by the 6400?

Answers

• James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited May 2017
    Hope not only had mine​ for less then a year.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    If you click through to 'Buy' from the 6300 product page you get a "not available" page.

I haven't seen a feature matrix for the new radios. It could quite possibly be that the main difference between a 6300 and a 6400 is the chassis form factor. The 6400 chassis is taller to accommodate the Maestro front panel of the 'M' variant.

Since I have a 6300 and a Maestro, I'm good to go either way

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Even discontinued does not mean a bad thing, It will be supported for a long time. and the SSDR with all the upcoming upgrades will continue to work with all 6000 radios. I have an old Flex 3000 that is still supported.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Excellent point!

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    My 6300 replaced a Kenwood TS-940S/AT that I bought in 1984. The old girl served as my go-to rig for just over 30 years and owns all but 2 of my DXCC Honor Roll credits.

If the 6300 ever becomes truly obsolete, I can still use my '940 or the KWM-2A shack heater.

But it's quite likely I will become obsolete before the rig does.

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    As I understand it, yes, it is Discontinued, which does not mean obsolete or worthless.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The 6300 and the 6500 have been replaced by the 6400 and the 6600, however the 6500 and the 6300 are still part of the 6000 family, so there is no need to worry.

As the the V2 software comes out, you will still have the same features available, so you are not being left in the dark.

Mike va3mw

• Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have no concern of the 6300 becoming obsolete as it will be supported by Flex and SSDR. I would like to see more info on the 6400 / 6600 including specs. Will the 6400 come with the internal tuner or will it be an option as in the 6300? The Maestro front does not appear to be removable. I do like being able to see the band on a big screen. Looking at the picture on the Flex site shows an HDMI connection on the 'M' models but not on the other 2. I guess they did not have enough time to get the proper pics up. Interesting that Flex can come out with 2 new radios with a Maestro attached less expensive than the 6500 / 6300 without. Can't wait to see the specs.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The tuner is optional and there is an HDMI output on the M models only.  It can still be used like a non-M model by connecting with SSDR, IOS or even a Maestro.   

Mike

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Even if the 6300 becomes obsolete, it should still work just as it does today as long as the hardware is working ok. My 3000 is obsolete now for many years and it still does what I need it to do.
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    But the 6300 trade in value plummeted since the 6400 costs $500 less. 
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I wonder if the tuner is the same that is used in the 6300?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Correct. The video processing circuitry and drivers to drive the hdmi port are part of the 'M' add-ons. Not included in the regular models.
  • Gary L. Robinson
    Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The guy I talked to at the Flex displays at the Dayton Hamvention this afternoon seemed to indicate that the Flex 6300 is no longer in production.  The 6400 seems to be essentially the same as the Flex 6300 but at $1,999 price level (The 6400M though is higher in price with the added on display, knobs, etc.).  

Not being in production any more does NOT mean it is unsupported.  I was told it would be continued to be supported which of course makes sense.  It was hinted to me that the 6400 might have a slightly better receiver but I have not have not seen anything definitive about that stated officially.

Since I am not interested in the M model (I don't desire knobs, dials, etc on my SDR radio) and I am not really sure the 6400 has any real advantage over the 6300 at this time I therefore have no plans to "upgrade".

Of course, if a compelling reason that fits my "needs" should surface I might change my mind.  :-)

Gary
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I bought a refurb 6300 w/ATU and a 2 year warranty from Flex less than 2 months ago. Do I wish I knew the 6400 was coming to market? Sure, I *might* have waited, but if I had I wouldn't have had my last two months playing with my new radio, nor would I have the next month or two playing with my new-to-me 6300 while I sat anxiously waiting for my new 6400 to arrive from Flex... I didn't buy my Flex as an investment instrument, it's a tool.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.