Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is RF generation by the 6500 performed entirely by digital means, as it is with Pizzicato by Cambri

Justin Smith
Justin Smith Member
edited July 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
In March 2015 Cambridge Consultants announced the prototype of a transceiver on a single integrated circuit that operates from input to RF output entirely in the digital realm; there are no analog components. ( http://www.gizmag.com/digital-radio-transmitter-microprocessor-technology/36380/).

Elsewhere the company claims that Pizzicato is the true heir to the title of SDR, and the SDR transceivers sold by other companies use mixed analog and digital technology. I would like to better understand how RF signal generation differs between Pizzicato and the 6500.

The specifications are so good for the 6500 that I am not sure it would matter to the average ham but for those interested in extreme DXing or ultra-low power operation, or in having much more capable handheld radios, I can speculate that the Pizzicato technology might make a difference.

I welcome any comments on this issue.

Thank you,
Justrin

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Justin

Took a quick look at the Cambridge Claims... my best guess is that they are using very low power as to date no one has been able to avoid Analog components once you want to transmit much more than 300milliWatts.

6000 Series uses a Direct Digital Upconversion process to digitally produce a transmit signal which is then amplified by analog components to get to 100W
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    Justin, I saw the announcement when it came out and I went searching at that time for a technical description of what was being done.  I was unable to find any "meat" that describes the actual process.  So you never know at this point whether it is snake oil or a new process.  Their website prominently features a process for making **** taste better.  It also says they have RF and signal processing experience.  
  • Justin Smith
    Justin Smith Member
    edited May 2015
    Thank you for putting this in perspective for me. One good review of a working product is worth more than thousands of press releases about a prototype.
  • Wolf
    Wolf Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    For interested parties - here is the link to Steve Taranovich's  article.
    It's still some way to go.

http://www.edn.com/design/analog/4438807/3/The-fully-Digital-radio-transmitter--Is-it-real-or-more-h...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.