Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is it worth upgrading from the 6300 to the 6400?

I presently have the 6300 radio. My question is, are there enough changes and upgrades in the Flex-6400 not the M model, just the 6400 model without the touch screen. Is it worth trading in my 6300 for the 6400, or should I pay for the 2.0 upgrade and keep my 6300? I really don't care about the touch screen. I will admit I'm more of a radio operator than an electronics engineer. That is why I'm asking for your opinion. Many thanks to anyone who sends a reply to my question.

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Do you rag chew or contest and DX? For most casual users the 6300 is just fine. If you contest or DX then you might benefit from better performance.
  • paul
    paul Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I have 3 6300 and a 6500. 6300's are dedicated to  vhf xvtrs. As a vhf contester I am looking at the 6400 because I can look at 6m and xvtr at the same time with dual scu. With the 6300 and 6500  only one antenna is used at a time. Diversity reception, beam steering,  might be nice on hf. I have it in my 5000. I do not see much need for 7th order preselects unless one is in a high hf rf enviornment. 3rd order on 6500 works fine and I do not see any problems with 6300s at my location. One of the 6300 is used remotely via vpn with no problems.  gl, paul, wa3qpx
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Paul, The 6400, at $1999, doesn't have the two SCU's. only the 6600 which is $3999 or $4999 for the 'M' model. I'm hoping that was a typo and that you won't be disappointed hoping an upgrade to a 6400 will be able to listen to 6 maters and your transverter at the same time. Ken - NM9P
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    In my brief discussion with Matt at HamCom in Texas, he made a convincing case that there are meaningful improvements in the 6400 vs the 6300, now, if they are worth the $1,000 cost over a trade-in (made up number, don't shoot me), that is for you to decide. I just bought a 6300 in the past 3 months, and I'm very happy with it (refurb, great price, 2 yr warranty) - I plan to buy the $200 update & keep it, but I am only a casual user.
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I bought my Flex 6300 in September.  It is, without doubt, the finest radio I have ever owned.  I toyed with the idea of upgrading, but the amount of loss in investment via trade-in or re-selling the radio simply didn't make sense for me.  I was thoroughly impressed with the 6400 at the Hamvention.  Had I not already committed to the 6300, I'd be drooling over the prospect of the 6400.  I'm retired and am on a fixed budget.  Once my car is paid off (Oct, 2018) I'll be able to entertain the idea of a 6600.  I have already paid for the SmartSDR 2.0 (I had Matt Youngblood cancel my reservation for the 6400M and told him to only refund me $100 of the $300 deposit with the remaining $200 to go towards the new software) and I am anxiously awaiting its release.
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Please no BB.

I believe what I'm saying is true, ive looked pretty good.... if I'm wrong state kindly and ill do even more research.

I also have a 6300, almost bought a 6500 from a friend, he backed out cause flex is giving him a lot in trade towards a 6600m.

I'm glad he backed out, he asked, I agreed....... the 6500 can only use ONE receive antenna at a time, I had thought different before I looked into it, that's the same as the 6300 except the 6500 will do 4 slices instead of 2.

6400 is same way, upto 4 slices but all receive has to be on same antenna, 6600 can receive on different antennas at same time yet still only 4 slices.

So I'm waiting on a 6600.....
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2018

I upgraded from 6300 to 6500 a year or so back. Not really worth it in my opinion. Only thing worth having was the band preselectors, but there are much cheaper ways to do this with external Hero box.

I don't use the ATU and the multi-slice capability does not work with most logging apps and 3rd party stuff like JT65. Band vs antenna selection also lacks any intelligence, negating the sweetness of 4-slices.

Are there any measurable RF performance benefits in the 6400? I'd wait for the Sherwood report to be sure.

• Jeff Eli
    Jeff Eli Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Please correct me if I am wrong. My understanding of the 6400 specs is that it only supports 2 slices.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    The 6400 supports 2 slices only and has one SCU.
  • paul
    paul Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Typo Ken , tnx paul, wa3qpx

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.