Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is it time to change the clock on SSDR?

Ken
Ken Member
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I believe it is time to change the clock format on the Smart SDR program. (We did say Smart - Right!). Anyway I could care less what time is is in jolly old England unless I'm there. In fact you have more than enough room at the bottom of the screen to put two clocks in. Why 2 clocks? Well how about one clock for the time zone of the people you talk to most. And another clock for the time zone you are in. Right now I'm in China and I'm talking to my Friends back on the west coast of the USA. Right now I have to keep my cell phone next to me so I know what the darn time is. Cannot this program be as smart as my cell phone is? It will not take up any extra bandwidth. It will just take some time to write some code in a program, and I DO know what that means being an old software programmer.
TNX - K7REA - Ken

Comments

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I don't believe my 6600M's software has a viewable clock.  But if it did, I would certainly want it on UTC (to coordinate QSO times with all contacts).  I think the FT8 software has it about right. 
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    A clock for where you talk most?  What about people who regularly talk all around the world?  24 different clocks?   

I only need GMT time for logging.  If I have a question about the other 23 time zones, I  glance at my Geochron.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have two time zones when I have SmartSDR running on my computers, GMT time on the Radio and the computer clock that is settable to what ever time zone you want, not sure what you need another clock for. 
    I personally think SmartSDR programmers have much more important things to do then to add another clock.
    There are a lot of World clock programs for the computer out there too.

• K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I agree.....there so many things lacking in the software but it finally shows version and User Name which you can add your call.

It took years to get this simple thing...…..Flex just don't do basic simple good.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    To Us want to be programers everything seems simple.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    K9dur makes a nice utility that puts a banner on your screen with multiple time zones.

http://k9dur.info/misc_utilities.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Ray / K9DUR also has some great SmartSDR related utilities here:

http://k9dur.info/smartsdr_utilities.html

I have both his UTC clock and SDRMonitor programs running 24x7.   

What I really like about Ray's programs that I'm using is that they do one thing and do it well and don't have any issues ( at least I've never had or heard of anyone having a problem).   Download, set them up and they just work.  

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I use Ham Clock, it is free;
    http://www.alpinesoft.com/ashamclock.html
    I also use Time Converter and World Clock, free website;
    https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/

Thanks for the info from other who replied.

• Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I woul just like to have a UTC clock show up on the Maestro screen.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    With all of the many things to come my thought is to utilize the Maestro's engine resources for radio operations. Clocks are available everywhere guys.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    That is the best thing about using a computer on your radio. Separate, well tweaked programs. I dread to see what SSDR would be after all of the demands were implemented. Bloatware is what it would be. Hard to say the effect when competing demands are involved. Meanwhile I have multiple clocks on my computers, no problem. As well, if we are using Windows 10, it is trivial to set up different timezones and clocks in the taskbar.
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    If you are operating remote and do not have a UTC clock, then it would be nice to have it on the Maestro screen somewhere.
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I know programming and the simple stuff like clock,squelch and making Memory not a sub menu and throwing 5 or so favorites at the top is super easy.....programming isn't as many of us older people think, weve gone a long way since r65 and so on.
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I agree, u kinda got downgraded.
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Good idea, but I think we have bigger fish to fry...

Andy
    KU7T
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I paper log totally in local time. I don't live in no Greenwich England.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Must be confusing for the DX...
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I have only used the 6500 with the Maestro, so it is the same as using my Icom 775DSP, no clock there also.  I use the Maestro when remote, so no utc clock.  If on the Maestro screen this would be great.  It is on SmartSDR computer screen, seems an omission on SmartSDR for the Maestro.  My current work around is memory spots at 5 & 10 Mhz, but very clumsy.
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    UTC is traditionally used for radio logging world wide.  I guess if you never work other states or DX then you are OK with local time, or never send out QSLs.
  • James Whiteway
    edited February 2019
    Bert, when I first got my Novice license I was told I had to keep a paper log of all contacts ( CW only for a Novice back then) and that the time of the contact listed in the log had to be shown in GMT as that was the standard all across the world. And depending on time zone, easily converted to local time if needed. As I understood it, it was an FCC and similar agencies around the world, requirement for a licensed Amateur radio station's records. So, that is what I have always used when I do bother to log now, ( even though it's no longer required) And when I have sent out QSL cards, GMT(now called UTC) is included. It's a standard practice that I was taught over 45 years ago. James WD5GWY
  • szawrotny
    szawrotny Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Paper log??? !!! Well,that explains it all :-)
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Last I checked, electronic logs also use UTC. ;)
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I want a QSO timer to be added to SmartSDR and both a clock and timer function be added to the Maestro.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.