Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is it possible to use the 6300 with one of the ipads,nexus pads?

Is it possible to use the 6300 with one of the ipads,nexus pads,windows pads successfully without going to the expense of a full blown pc set up.Thanks to the forum for any advice.

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Short answer People seem to have had some luck using the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with SSDR directly under Windows 8 So far no one has been able to run SSDR under iOS or android. I expect an iOS Native version in the new year
  • seancaldwell
    seancaldwell Member
    edited June 2019
    Hope they consider android. With the openness and ability to tinker and hack the operating system, it seems to be a nice fit with amateur radio.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I asked about Android for my S-3 a while back; seems like Steve, N5AC, said 'android is not so easy, there are too many flavors'...or something like that....still, i'm hopeful...maybe with a Note 3, or ??  I think there are a few of us who don't care much for Apple...

otherwise, for now, some remote desktops provide some functionality..

73, w5xz, dan

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I think Steve N5AC hit the nail on the Android head Every Android device manufacturer has their own flavor of. Android so picking a specific device such a Note 3 covers just a tiny part of the Android Ecosystem so significant programming effort would be required to extend it to the next manufacturers device. By contrast, while Apple iOS is a much more closed ecosystem it. Is absolutely consistent across all devices (iPad, iPhone) so there. Is only a single programming effort to cover all devices across the ecosystem. I suspect since Android is so open, some hams will port SSDR to some flavor of Android but it likely won't work that well on some other flavor or manufacturers version of Android.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    and, some of us 'android geeks' like to 'root' our phones, to get the crapware off them....and play with different ROM's..

• Johan
    Johan Member ✭✭
    There are more Android users than iOS worldwide.
    Most Apps are compatible with all Android versions, and devices.
    So please yes give us Android users also a new toy
    ZS1A
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭

Not much has changed since my October 2014. As far as I know, no one has done an android version. The iOS version works fabulously.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@Johan

You might be correct and we continue to invite people to develop an Android Application. We will even provide guidance.

None of the programming is a secret and well published. But, I guess there are no Hams who are Android users who use FlexRadios.

For FlexRadio, there is no time on the schedule to actually develop such an application at this time. However, things do change.

One other thing is the details. And, that is post-sales support. The owner of the application needs to own the product and then deal with customer calls with things do not work. Since there are literally hundreds of different Android versions it becomes impossible to reliably test if someone has an issue.

This is one reason why you have only seen a Windows, iOS and MacOS versions of SmartSDR and that is due to the fact that the operating system they run on are well controlled. This makes things easier to replicate.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.