Is it possible to use the 6300 with one of the ipads,nexus pads?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
Is it possible to use the 6300 with one of the ipads,nexus pads,windows pads successfully without going to the expense of a full blown pc set up.Thanks to the forum for any advice.
Photo of Dolan Morrison

Dolan Morrison

• 19 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3649 Posts
  • 1486 Reply Likes
Short answer

People seem to have had some luck using the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with SSDR directly under Windows 8

So far no one has been able to run SSDR under iOS or android.
I expect an iOS Native version in the new year
Photo of seancaldwell

seancaldwell

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Hope they consider android. With the openness and ability to tinker and hack the operating system, it seems to be a nice fit with amateur radio.
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
I asked about Android for my S-3 a while back; seems like Steve, N5AC, said 'android is not so easy, there are too many flavors'...or something like that....still, i'm hopeful...maybe with a Note 3, or ??  I think there are a few of us who don't care much for Apple...

otherwise, for now, some remote desktops provide some functionality..

73, w5xz, dan
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3700 Posts
  • 1550 Reply Likes
I think Steve N5AC hit the nail on the Android head

Every Android device manufacturer has their own flavor of. Android so picking a specific device such a Note 3 covers just a tiny part of the Android Ecosystem so significant programming effort would be required to extend it to the next manufacturers device.

By contrast, while Apple iOS is a much more closed ecosystem it. Is absolutely consistent across all devices (iPad, iPhone) so there. Is only a single programming effort to cover all devices across the ecosystem.

I suspect since Android is so open, some hams will port SSDR to some flavor of Android but it likely won't work that well on some other flavor or manufacturers version of Android.
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
and, some of us 'android geeks' like to 'root' our phones, to get the crapware off them....and play with different ROM's..