Is it possible to connect a straight key along with paddles?

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
I currently use CW paddles on my Flex 6400M but would also like to have a straight key ready to use.  Is there any way to connect a straight key and keep the paddles on also?
Photo of Jim Miller

Jim Miller

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Craig - KØCF

Craig - KØCF

• 239 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Yes, connect it to the Accessory connector on the back panel. Pin 4 is the keying input, and use one of the ground pins (pins 5, 6, 7, 8 or 10) for the ground side. See section 7.3.5 of your Flex-6400M / Flex-6600M User Guide.
Photo of Jim Miller

Jim Miller

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Craig!  I am still new with the Flex and having some problems gettings connected.  I really appreciare your reply.]
Jim-WA5EF
Photo of John - K3MA

John - K3MA

• 405 Posts
  • 139 Reply Likes
You could also fabricate/buy  a Y cable.  Of course you would need to see if the Settings....Radio Setup....Phone/CW....menu selections need to be changed depending upon which you want to use.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim Miller

Jim Miller

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I considered that but wouldn’t that require a reconfiguration of the settings for CW? Thanks-Jim
Photo of Dick Bean

Dick Bean

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My Accessory input already has a connector installed for my amplifier, so in looking at the settings there does not seem to be a way to use the front panel key receptacle for a straight key. Is that correct?  
Photo of Craig - KØCF

Craig - KØCF

• 239 Posts
  • 90 Reply Likes
Yes there is a way. From the SmartSDR User Guide:
"To transmit in CW mode using the keyer built-into the Flex-6000 radio, you will need either a straight key or an iambic paddle. Refer to the FLEX-6000 Hardware Reference Manual for wiring instructions.

To use a straight key, uncheck the IAMBIC control in the CW transmit panel."

However, you can use the Accessory connector for both the amplifier and CW key input (and any other functions provided) simultaneously. Just add the necessary wires to the connector.