Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is it just me feeling like this?

Answers

• K4MT
    K4MT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I know I am wasting my time with Flex fan boys but the 5000A history is easy to see. My high dollar purchase dropped 50% overnight. And trade in they would give me 800 for it on trade. What a deal.  You guys amaze me.  Go ahead and see how quickly your 6300 and 6500 value drops. Just like the 5000

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Your Flex didn't drop one red cent unless you bought it with the intention of selling it.

I purchased mine with the intention of keeping it. Who would buy a radio that they didn't intend to keep?
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Do you still have every radio you ever bought?
  • Gary Sheridan
    Gary Sheridan Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    You are spot on Howard!
  • Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Oh boy you just had to bring politics to the table!
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

The JA's have the same approach in many other industries, for example in the photography industry. The JA might have a fix here and there but 99% you have to buy the next model. Take a look at Sony, every 18 months they release a new model. RX100, Mark 1, Mark 2, Mark 3, Mark 4 and now Mark V. 

The reason is their entire business is based on manufacturing. They have to design, build and ship hardware to be able to employ the work force. The Icom 7610 is not going to be any different.

Flex does need to up their game

One area where I do agree with many of the comments is if Flex wants be a software company then they need to up their game. I love my 6500 but SSDR is certainly not breaking new ground. 

If they are not able to do the job then they need a much more aggressive third party software development program. More 3rd party support and APIs would be a smart move. But there is a catch...

One of the advantages Flex has over their competition is also one of their weaknesses. 

1. The strength of the 6000 Architecture is the Client  / Server model. The bulk of the work is done on the 6xxx not on pc (client). Which means  they can have an iPad or low end computers and makes it much easier to have remote capabilities. 

2. The weakness in this approach is it MUCH more difficult to write server based applications and requires a much higher skill level programmers. I believe this is a big reason why we have not seen many of the features listed in this thread.
    As some who worked in software development and marketing I know first hand that throwing more programmers does NOT always solve the problem. In fact more programmers can often slow down development.

My advice is the same for making a purchase of ANY product, if it doesn't do what you want then buy something that does. But whining and complaining says more about your decision process than the company you are complaining about.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    @JD... not intended to be politics  but rather a current example of a blatant hysterical Dementia Syndrome that many people can easily understand....
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Howard, if the new models broaden the base then this announcement is a great thing.  More users, more revenue and a virtuous cycle for Flex.  I did not expect 4 years of software bundled into my initial purchase.

Flex decided a few years ago to stop discussing road map.  Certainly their prerogative, but in my companies when I'm selling an architecture I talk a lot about road map.  Flex is a very architectural product that's going deep down an accessory track with 4O3A.  And down a contest software track with N1MM+.  But not disclosing much about other hardware/software integration for non-contesting use cases.

I don't share other commenters' worry that my 6700 has lost value, but I do worry if I still have the flagship that will get features first.  I've built enough products to know I'd probably design in a faster DSP and processor and add memory when I launch a refresh after 5 years.  I've had to tell customers, "Sorry but your v1 cards don't support v3 software."  I have no reason to think that's happening here, but a little more communication would help!

• Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Howard there are always those that see the glass as half full and those that see it as half empty.

When I see the amazing technology that we have available as hams for the incredible price, I am thrilled.

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    This thread is in the "tl;dr" category for me (google it) but my flex radio still works great, not sure what all the fuss is about?  I'm still enjoying it as much this week as I was last week, the week before that, etc.   ¯_(ツ)_/¯  Looking forward to v2.0 so I can have a new radio all over again. :) 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Apples and oranges...the 5000 was superseded and obsolete upon the release of the 6000 Series, though PSDR was still supported for a while afterwards., the old flex line was left behind with SmartSDR. In the case of the 6300 and 6500, even though the have been discontinued, they are still part of the surrender series, and run the same software. Will the 6300 and 6500 lose some value? Certainly. Is it going to be as catastrophic and rapid as some are predicting? I don't think so. Even if it does, how has FRS wronged anyone? By developing even better equipment for less money, based upon the past five years of experience? By adding features to a rig at the 6500's price point that previously were available only on the 6700 (which was $3200 more expensive)? By finding a way to incorporate a simple control surface into the new models in order to bridge the gap for people who have a hard time adapting to a knobless interface? Fan-boys? Rose-colored glasses? The way some people are getting hysterical about this, you'd think their lover had been unfaithful to them.... If my rig loses value, fine. I have enjoyed it for four years and have had more fun with it than I have had in 43 years as a ham. I got to be on the cutting edge. Just like I was when I bought my own first generation DirecTV for $530 back in the 90's, before the company started providing them free to new customers. If a user is worried about resale value, they can keep it, like I do my cars, and run it until FRS abandons SSDR for a new software and hardware line. Until then, it will continue to receive updates and upgrades, and continue to be a very functional top-line rig.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Howard, I'll buy a 6700 for $1500 today. No problem! :-) Actually very intrigued about the trade up on my Limited Edition 6500. The 6600's dual SCUs and price point are extremely tempting. Perhaps I will get over the lack of a front panel headphone jack, after all! After the surprise wore off, I'm much more excited about the new rigs. They seem to represent a maturation of the product, responsiveness to the market and users, and good business. I used to fear Flex could become like SignalOne, great but unsustainable. Don't have that worry anymore. Even if I don't spring for the 6600, I have no doubts that the 6300 and 6500 will be supported for a long time, just like the models that went before them.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I wonder how many of you have seen this interview with Gerald talking about the features that ALL the 6000 radios will receive ? This appears to dispel a lot of the myths stated here about the current flex. https://youtu.be/UGNVjGKdvbM
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

@George

I owned a Signal One.. even paid more for Serial #1,...superb radio in its day...

Don't recall what ever happened to it... probably thrown out with lots of other old junk when moving between countries...or more likely sold with my company that owned it.

Yes.. I know that lots of hams would love to sift thru my old trash on trash pickup day.

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Call me when you decide to put stuff by the curb!
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    There are some people who while they claim to like this radio and Flex, seldom have a good thing to say about either. This complaining about Flex offering New equipment, at least to me, rather confusinghave no issues with new equipment, nor new software for old equipment. From my car, my computer manufacturer, or my radios. Should Flex just pt out the present series until some other manufacture catches up and passes them?

Perhaps someone could outline the business model for their concepts of FlexRadio perennially putting out new and hopefully free software, and not ever introducing new hardware simply because it reduces the value of old hardware. 

That's what I want to understand. I know a bit about business, but am always willing to learn from people who have different ideas, because what has been bantered about sounds like a recipe for Chapter 7.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I just don't get it. Sincerely. A week ago, some group of people were happy with their radios. Now those same people seem to no longer be happy with their radios, because new radios came out. Nothing happened to their radios in the past week. My 6500 still works the same way it did last week at this time, the fact that there's now a 6600 and Flex doesn't sell the 6500 anymore doesn't diminish my 6500 one tiny bit. I still like my 6500. I still wish the UX was better. But I like it just fine. It terms of value, did you guys think you could get your money back if you needed it for hospital expenses or something? Seriously? It's a friggin' RADIO people... it's not a bar of gold bullion, or a Krugerrand, or even a Rolex. You're not going to get what you paid for it a few years later. Be realistic. Peter K1PGV
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Cleaned out before travelling

It's already at the Curb.. Garbage pickup is Monday AM

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yep.  I like the latest greatest bleeding edge technology as much as the next geek, but I don't start bashing the company when they come out with a newer gadget.  I give them a thumbs up and say great job!  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    This is so silly, first off, the test By Sherwood was done on a used radio that had a problem in the code that was not detected, Flex found the flaw and discovered that the flaw was effecting all 6000's, they fixed it then sent it back for testing.

What you are saying about updates is simply not true. Flex said this week that updates to fix known problems with the 6300, 6500, 6700 will continue on as before.
     Your radio, the 6300 is not worthless, it still works just the same way as it did last week.

We all knew that a few people would take this opportunity to bash the radio they own, and say they will have nothing to do with Flex again but will continue here saying it over and over, like they just can't move on.
    For the most part if we look at the ones doing this we see it is just the same troubled people that have posted here all year.
  • Ron W4RDM
    Ron W4RDM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Old Saying in the South - If You want to dance, you have to pay the fiddler.

From my experience.
    New or Used - It's best to buy a Flex after Dayton

It's best to sell before Dayton.

Ron W4RDM

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Email this to all.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Gerald, the detractors are few and your supporters are many.

We all strive to excel and provide the best product or service we can given the resources we are dealt. And no one or company is perfect. Apple is an 800 BILLION dollar company and yet to some people everything they do is wrong.

Keep doing what you are doing and congratulations on the new product line. I for one am excited about the new hardware and I know everyone at Flex is proud of their efforts.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    You can't compare Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu in this regard. When someone buys a hardware radio from one of the big three, they are knowingly purchasing a WYSIWYG radio.

When someone buys a 6000 series radio, they are buying the concept of a continually evolving radio. Thus the reason they chose a Flex over the others. At least that was the thought two or three years ago.

The issue here is the evolution has been painfully slow and not as promised.
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited May 2017
    Gerald Thanks for the clarification on several points, which is helpful I tried to sell my 6300 in recent months, in order to upgrade to a 6700. It didnt sell but thats good as it meant i didnt spend £7000 on a 6700. The 6300 will now stay long term in my shack whilst i watch what happens with the new 6600. If a panic driven 6700 comes up for sale i may well buy it as i like bargains. The only real disapointment for me is that it appears 2.0 is taking priority over fixing problems in 1.10.16 with respect to hang ups. I put in a helpdesk ticket on advice and was then advised that it was a known issue and would have to live with it until a fix is found. It appears that even if i pay for 2.0 i will still have to wait for one or two more maintenance releases to fix the hang up issue? I would hope that when the fix is found it will be released asap. Similar for the performance upgrade? I am sure the new radios will sell well and it looks like the 6600 is a better so2r option for me rather than a 6700. Is it possible that the 6600 may end up in a smaller box ? Appart from the disapointment that no bug fixing maintenance release was issued to coincide with the show, the other notable absence was any news of better integration with antenna genius. Will there be features supporting antenna genius in 2.0 ? Maybe it was mentioned to people at the show but for those of us in europe it would be great if an insider issue could be sent out confirming what you THINK will be included in 2.0 subject to final testing. As a antenna genius plus owner and someone who is planning on buying a power genius, due to the integration for hf and 6m contesting, it would be good to know what is coming down the road to further improve integration. 73 Steve gw0gei / gw9j
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    at 3:22:06

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.