Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is anyone using Skookum Logger with their Flex?

WC6Y
WC6Y Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in Third-Party Software
I have a 6600 and a Mac Laptop. I usually use MacLoggerDX for logging but am looking for a Mac-based logger that is more contest-oriented e.g. has separate run and pounce windows. I would like to interface the Skookum SW with the 6600 HW, to transfer current frequency etc. into the log, but Skookum doesn't list Flex as a supported transceiver. Any workarounds or similar/better Mac-based contest loggers? (I do have Parallels etc. and could go that route, but prefer Mac native). Thanks for any insights.

Answers

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Does Skookum recognize the Kenwood TS-2000 syntax?Apparently Flex recognizes CAT commands for this rig. Try it
  • WC6Y
    WC6Y Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for your speedy reply! Skookum does support TS-2000 and replies it will use "9600 8n1 RTS/CTS".  For Port selection it offers "MALS" or "SOC". Unfortunately neither will open - provides message that there is "no response to poll of the serial device connected to the port named SOC; closing the port" I'm not familiar with the TS-2000, don't know whether these are HW ports or virtual.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
     As far as I know, only MacLoggerDX talks to the Flex via ethernet. I -suppose- that Skookum (and any other requiring a serial port) could work if xCAT was available. But alas, not at the moment.
  • Tyler
    Tyler Member
    I've got Skookum Logger interfaced with SmartSDR. It requires the installation of xCAT, and seems to work fine. I enter the frequency in the SkookumLogger Radio 1 window and it changes the slice A frequency. When I change the SmartSDR slice frequency, Skookum reflects that. This is configured with a helper program called xCAT and the SkookumLogger Device definition of "TS-2000 TCP".

However, I've not been able to get a second slice C working with Skookum Logger yet, and I've run into a peculiar error that I've forwarded to K1GQ to look at. But that would be essential to getting SO2R working with Flex, at least on the CAT side.

The YCCC OTRSP protocol is embedded in the Flex, and I'm hoping that I can hook that through xCAT and another port definition.

I have built a SmartSDR CW serial keying cable, and that works OK. But not sure how paddle CW would follow the proper radio window focus in SkookumLogger. Lots left to do.

Tyler N4TY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.