Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is anyone using Comm Cat Mobile (by W6HN) to remotely control SmartSDR?

Arnie
Arnie Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am trying to get Comm Cat Mobile working to control/operate SmartSDR remotely. Everything works great EXCEPT I cannot get remote audio  to work on transmit. Receive audio gets from SmartSDR to my Comm Cat Mobile just fine, but transmit audio from CommCat Mobile is not getting to SmartSDR without using Audio Repeaters which gives too much latency.

On the Comm Cat app that runs on the computer that is running SmartSDR, I have OUT audio set for DAX TX Audio and IN audio is set for DAX Rx1. The only way that SmartSDR will transmit my audio from the CommCat Mobile is to set OUT audio to Line 1 VAC and then create a repeater that connects Line 1 VAC to DAX Tx1. The audio transmitted is very good, but it has a 2 second latency which is really difficult for actual operation.

Has anyone tried this app and gotten it to work all the way around?
I really like to app and its built-in VOIP. I hope this problem is solveable.
Tnx de Arnie W8DU

p.s.Here is a link to CommCat:  http://www.commcat.com/ccldownloads.php

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

I have CommCat installed and TX audio works as you described in you initial setup that does not work for you. Make sure in SmartSDR phone/CW menu on right you have DAX selected. Also in DAX control panel make sure TX stream is selected. It should show blue.

Why do you have VAC installed?

Dave wo2x

• Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Dave. Unfortunately, I do have all of the settings as you suggest and do get the blue button on TX stream in DAX....but not transmit audio. I am using Windows 7...what version are you using?
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Arnie - You may want email Howard to see if he has any insight.

KF4HR
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks. I had contacted Howard first and he suggested that I post it here since he had no ideas about it.
    73 de Arnie W8DU
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Arnie.  I curious you were able to get your Flex working with the CommCat program?  I contacted Howard today and he also suggested I check with this community.  I haven't been able to get CommCat to communicate with my Flex-6700 at all.

Butch, KF4HR
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

I definitely did get CommCat to work with my 6700 but I dropped it in favor of SmartSDR for iOS

I also got the CommCat Client to work on my Apple Watch.. but it only shows frequency and activates PTT.. no audio..

Frankly I do not remember the details of how I got it to work except that I recall having to subscribe to Howard's audio server to get it to pass audio.

Bottom Line... SmartSDR for iOS is just so much more useful and much easier to use
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited November 2018
    I agree with Howard. Using the CommCat VoIP was best audio solution. CommCat Desktop connects the SmartSDR Cat port for rig control. I haven’t used it since the beta of SmartLink came out but it did work well. Dave wo2x
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have iOS for SSDR running fine here.  It works fine for remote control of my 6700, but (so far) I haven't been able to duplicate CommCat's many other DX (DX predictive moves, etc), and Award Tracking features with it.  Or am I missing something?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.