Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is anyone having success operating D-Star on a Flex 6700?

David Livingston
David Livingston Member ✭✭
edited April 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Is anyone having success operating D-Star on a Flex 6700? I am using latest Firmware and latest Waveforms. The dongle passes all tests from the manufacturer. I have put up wit this for over 6 months.

Answers

• hans weijers
    hans weijers Member
    edited April 2017
    Hi David, just have a look at the question "HF DSTAR with SSDR Beta v1.10.8 Issue" at https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/hf-dstar-with-ssdr-beta-v1-10-8-issue .
    Read all the comments on the RX- and TX - delays and the broken receptions and transmissions..
    You will see that the latest software for use with the DV-Dongle is far from perfect and absolutely not usable on VHF/UHF or HF.
    73, Hans PA0HWB

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I tested 1.10.16 with my 6300 and Dstar dongle today .  I monitored 3880 during the Dstar HF net where 16 stations were checking in according to their web site.  I monitored for about 10 minutes with occasional activity spotted in the SSDR waterfall but zero decodes .  After about 15 minutes the SSDR paused for about 5 seconds and then Dstar waveform was lost.  SSDR reverted to plain USB and the Dstar waveform was not present in the drop down list of modes.  So, looks like the problems reported several months ago have not been resolved. Thinking of selling the dongle and accepting Dstar via a Flex is not a reality at the moment. 
    Andy K3UK 
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    There are still some minor issues with TX receive delay. The THUMB-DV implementation is far from perfect. However, I have been running a 6500 and THUMB-DV on DSTAR HF since the first published waveform for DSTAR and it is usable. Recently I've even used the Ukrainian 2m Transverses to connect to our local DSTAR VHF repeater and it works OK. As the NCS of the International DSTAR HF Testing Net, the FLEX waterfall setup allows me to find the 6.2khz openings we need to communicate. If your setup is unsatisfactory, cannot decode, drops the DSTAR waveform, reverts to plain USB, does not show up in drop downs, you have some installation issues I have not run into. It might be hardware, or software. For me, and many others on the net, DSTAR HF on the FLEX works, other than the TX receive delay issue, which needs to be corrected, but an irritant.  DSTAR voice on HF is not easy, it will never replace SSB or CW. But another mode to have fun with and expand the hobby.
    Kent KQ4KK
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I think several people have reported the intermittent loss of the waveform, so I don't think it is an issue specific to my set up
    Andy K3UK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.