Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is anybody running SmartSDR under the Windows 10 Insider Edition?

Wheelin Rev
Wheelin Rev Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
QUESTION: Is anybody successfully running SmartSDR under the Windows 10 Insider Edition operating system (OS)?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

73, Dave Hamm K4EET

Answers

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Npw I agree with yiu Tim this post is annoying and spreading like a virus, it should have been removed.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    It almost sounds as if you are expecting Flex to assist in your Windows beta testing.

I'm a beta tester for one of the larger streaming services and I would never discuss my testing results or issues with anyone except the service I'm doing the testing for. That's standard NDA content. You may be violating the terms of your testing agreement by disclosing testing results or issues to the public.

If you're having any issues with third party apps while you're testing a Windows beta release then you should forward those concerns to Microsoft instead of expecting the third party app developers to investigate the issue. 

Don't place the burden on Flex when they have no knowledge of or control over what Microsoft does with it's beta versions. 

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hello Dave, Every one I have heard that has been using the Beta version's of Windows 10 have had many issues and are not using it.

It is really not recommend to run Critical applications on the Beta's and there is no support for it as others have stated, as it is hard to correct the Issues that the normal Windows 10 updates causes it is hard to keep things running. 
    Best practice is to have a separate computer for the Flex that your not running experimental software on.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Have you ever considered dual booting to another volume/partition that contains the production version of Windows 10 while another contains your insider preview?  Lots of advice on how to do this via Google!
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited April 2018
    I appreciate everyone's concern about this post. Unfortunately, I am not privy to understand the DAX Driver code nor the future Windows code. I also do not expect FlexRadio to "fix" anything because Dudley has already been very helpful already. All I am trying to determine now is my one and only question that is presented above. The "DAX Driver Error" has been an ongoing issue with many Flex users for years. A simple search of the Community confirms that.

As for Non Disclosure Agreements (NDAs), I completely understand what all has been signed (and I am including all NDAs to date) and I cannot see any clauses where my two posts violate anything.

Again, the DAX Driver Error issue has been around for years. All I am seeking is to know if anybody is successfully running the Windows 10 Insider Edition and SmartSDR. This particular question has not been asked on the Community Board as near as I can determine.

What upsets me are the few folks that try to derail a simple question by continuing to talk about issues that have already been addressed. I thought that this was a user-friendly community where Flex users could help other Flex users. I'm not bashing FlexRadio in any way that I know of. If somebody thinks I am, then they have misunderstood me somewhere along the way.

I am a disabled ham that has great difficulty typing due to peripheral pain caused by MELAS. Fortunately for those that feel I am trying to do some irreparable harm to FlexRadio, MELAS is a terminal illness and I may not even live much longer. Nobody knows when I'll be called home. What I do know is this whole issue of me not being able to get a simple question answered has me very upset. I have already had upwards of 20 strokes since being diagnosed with MELAS and it has severely affected my brain. I wish people could understand that. That is just the way MELAS is.

So once again, I doubt if there are going to be any replies that answer my simple question. I apologize to everyone for unknowingly "stirring the ****." That was never my intention.

Peace all... 73, Dave Hamm K4EET
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited April 2018
    Greg, excellent suggestion! I've not thought about that. Thanks a million! That may just be the solution to my single-computer scenario. Thanks again! 73, Dave Hamm K4EET
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I quit taking the win 10 beta versions but hope you get an answer if there is someone here does use it. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Above came  out yesterday and DAX working like it should (((with not needing to be re-installed)).

On the last 17133 beta  version you had trouble with not so much.

I had to do clean install with no registry traces to get DAX fixed on version 17133.

Went from bad 17133 (fixed) to yesterdays 17134.1 and Dax and rest of Ssdr worked fine.

So all is well.

• Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited April 2018
    Jeff, thanks so much for your comment. I am now also on the same OS Build as you. I also have been contacted by some other folks directly via eMail with similar comments. One of them gave me some specific instructions about completely wiping SmartSDR et.al. from the system and then how to re-install everything such that SmartSDR will work just fine as you have also indicated. I've got some housekeeping to do with the programs and some Windows Registry cleaning to do. Hopefully when all is done, I'll be riding high on the same boat as you -- SmartSDR coexisting with Version 1803 and the current OS Build. Thanks again and have a GREAT weekend! 73, Dave Hamm K4EET
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    As somebody who works in the guts of the Windows OS daily (I am *not* an employee of MSFT), I can confidently advise you to NOT participate in *any* Insider Edition builds if you want to maintain a stable, working, computing environment. Unless you need a specific piece of functionality ONLY being offered in the Insider build you gain absolutely nothing by using one of these builds, and subject yourself to all manner of annoyance and risk including possible security errors and even data loss. Let me repeat: Unless you NEED something in an Insider build, or you think it’s fun to test new features for the general benefit of the Windows user community, all you get with an Insider build is an unstable, mostly untested, and unreliable computer operating system. I would not expect anything to work on an Insider build... and if it anything does work, I’d view it as a gift. Peter K1PGV
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Ack.  Check out Microsoft's March Security roll-up for 2008 R2 servers.  Doesn't exist because they had to recall it because it wasn't tested until SysAdmins in the field cried foul.
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited April 2018
    I want to thank those that gave me some ideas on rectifying the DAX Driver Error. As of last night, I was able to completely uninstall SmartSDR, clean up the Windows Registry and reinstall SmartSDR Version 2.1.33 under Windows Version 1803 without getting the DAX Driver Error. However, I've managed to mis-configure SmartSDR CAT but I'll bring that up in a new question to the Community. Thanks again for the assistance! I love my FLEX-6500! 73, Dave Hamm K4EET

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.