Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is ANF Working Better in V3 ?

2»

Answers

• SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited April 2019
    Yes you are allowed an opinion, Craig. Even a really, really boring opinion which "not bring any useful information".
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    OK, good report.   That is a proper and fine example of a detailed problem report.
    Thanks!
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited April 2019

Why? Does it state whether Flex fixed ANF in v3?
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited April 2019
    Also, since Flex has a very small engineering group, it might be more effective for
    them to license the Auto-Notch software code from HDSDR rather than spend a year inventing a new module on their own.  But they will need to decide on that.

In the mean-time, it sounds like defining a manual notch, parking it at the edge of the
    band, and sliding it into place when needed, might be the best work-around I have read about in this thread.

Cheers,

Neal
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited April 2019

Yes, that's been the recommended work-around going on 5 years now - forget automatic, do it manually. Previous to v2.4.9, people were using this work-around and then began complaining that, over time, TNFs would be scattered all about the spectrum and then were too time consuming to remove. So Flex decided to add a "Remove All TNFs" function to v2.4.9. I guess that was one solution, but I would have thought fixing ANF is the better solution.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I am not a Flex employee

None of the HPSDR code can work with SSDR.
  • Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    And how do you know that?

Once again, you come across as being privy to information that only an insider could possibly know.

1) To make the statement you made, you'd need to know (as a minimum) what language each program (HDSDR and SSDR) was/is written in.

2) Furthermore, you'd need to be enough of an expert at coding digital audio processing routines to know for a certainty that the algorithms used by each program are 100% incompatible insofar as being able to share any snippet of code logic between the two.

And I'm betting you're pretty much clueless on both counts.  If you weren't you'd be flaunting your credentials in every post you make.

So I ask you, how can you sit there and make such absolute declarations as the one in your post above?

Jeez!..and you wonder why I summarily dismiss so much of what you post!

EDIT:

Bill,

I just realized that you said "None of the HPSDR code can work with SSDR", which is correct.

However, HPSDR has never been previously mentioned on this page, though HDSDR has been mentioned nearly a dozen times.

So your statement, even though probably correct, is nonetheless irrelevant to the discussion.

I must concede I missed the nuance that you weren't talking about HDSDR, while you had a dozen opportunities to catch (and still missed) the fact that we were never talking about HPSDR. So I don't feel so bad.

Regards,

Mark K1LSB
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The part about the noise blanker. Hilarious. V1.5 was a while ago and they still have not achieved parity with the old rigs and software, let alone raise the bar. And we're up to v3. Yay
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    This was a comment from the discussion.

Also, since Flex has a very small engineering group, it might be more effective for

them to license the Auto-Notch software code from HDSDR rather than spend a year inventing a new module on their own.
      My coment was:  None of the HPSDR code can work with SSDR.

My mystake, I'm sorry that I misread, I read HPSDR instead of HDSDR
    I was not aware that the source code for HDSDR could work in SSDR code.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited April 2019
    Bill:

I have no knowledge of HPSDR or HDSDR either, other than having used HDSDR.
    I was simply suggesting that sometimes it is far faster to license an algorithm
    than to invent it yourself.    Since I have not looked at the source code, you are
    right, perhaps the code licenses, GPL, etc, come into play, blocking use by
    commercial companies.

That said, I know for a fact that the actual author of any software, open or closed
    source, GPL or whatever, has the right to dual-license it as they see fit.
    In my "day job" with a very large corp, we would regularly approach the holder
    of a GPL licensed code module we wanted to use in a commercial product, and
    ask them to also license that same code directly to us under the BSD or MIT 
    license so that we could actually put the code into a commercial product.
    For the appropriate compensation most were usually happy to do so.
    Some, not so much.

It is really Flex's discretion to decide to try to do it all in-house, or to try to
    leverage work that is already completed by making agreements.  Their choice.

Cheers,

Neal
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Interesting thoughts Neal.
    Using Geralds remarks, Flex is going about this in a very uncontional way, using wide band code. I don't think it is a matter of them not being able to pull this off as much as just not using the resources to get back to the project.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.