Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is a numerical value for the S meter or the Noise floor available?

Tom Worthington
Tom Worthington Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for iOS
When I go searching for noise for EME even 1 dB is important.  Is there a way to access a numerical value for the S meter or the noise floor? Either on the 6600M or the Iphone app.  I remember finding a value on the Iphone app but I can't seem to find it anymore and I don't see an S meter on my phone.  When I go around my home or my neighbors homes, turning off lights, unplugging wall warts and generally encouraging my neighbors to use only candles for illumination, it would be great to have a better estimate of the changes in noise level.

Answers

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The SmartSDR for windows client gives the actual S meter value in dbm.  Just click on the S meter reading to change to numeric value.  I dont think there is a switch for this on the (M) front panel.  That would be nice to have.  Not sure about SmartSDR for iOS. 
  • Tom Worthington
    Tom Worthington Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks, I'll try that.  I also found the S meter and a numerical value on the Iphone app by turning off the small slice flag and selecting Show dBm value.
  • Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It would be nice for us "Stand Alone" users who don't use SmartSDR on a PC to also have that type of option to select dbm or numeric value. 
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I just wrote a quick-and-dirty program to have the radio send S-meter data to my Linux computer in real time. Gives me a constantly updating dBm value for all active slices. Looked after my needs, although it was part of a learning exercise to have my shack Linux computer control the radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.