Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is a FLEX-6xxx Series Radio Phone Patch Capable with say Skype?

Options
I was recently asked if I had phone patch capability with my HF station for Emergency Comms applications. I do with my Heathkit SB-102 and the HD-15 Hybrid Phone Patch accessory. But then, thinking outside the box, does anybody know of a way to route a DAX channel to say the Skype application of which I have landline dialing capabilities to run a phone patch over HF? Anybody here with knowledge of a way to do this using some other method? I would prefer to NOT have to use external wiring but rather use DAX and computer software only. If this is not currently possible, perhaps a FLEX engineer can take this as an "Idea" for a future application with the FLEX-6xxx series of transceivers. 73, Dave K4EET

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Interesting concept, Skype should work okay as it is just a sound card program with a few bells and whistles, just have to set up your DAX TX and RX slice channel as your sound card devices used in Skype. 
    Not sure if you could monitor the phones audio coming to the radio's Transmitter unless you set up in your computers sound card settings to listen to the DAX channel which may be a legal issue if you can't monitor the 3rd party traffic.

I've done this a long time ago with the FLEX5000 and VAC for remote base audio which would work the same way as DAX. 
    Skype MIC audio goes to DAX RX channel and make sure it's selected when you want to run a patch and the Skype RX audio goes to the DAX TX Stream and you have the DAX selected in the "P/CW" window.

hope this helps 
    Bret WX7Y
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes, it works.
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Using the "MON" button on SmartSDR might solve the monitoring issue. As for legal issues, I don't think that applies when running phone patches under the USAF MARS guidelines on USAF frequencies. But that is a question that I will want to get answered. Thanks for your assistance! I'll give it a try and see if I can make the phone patch work. 73, Dave K4EET
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes the MON button works with DAX input so you should be covered either way. 
    Seems like in earlier versions of SmartSDR MOX didn't work but I'm probably wrong
    73's
    Bret

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    This is exactly how many people did remote ops in the earlier days of Flex radios. Using Skype and TeamViewer or Paralells Access, or other Remote Desktop programs...before they added sound. Making the leap to skype phone shouldn't be that big a leap. One problem with using DAX TX audio is that VOX does not work. Using the PC input in the TX panel would give you VOX but might add more latency. I have not tested this aspect, since I do not do Skype phone....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.