Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ipad mini 2 or mini 4

WV9L
WV9L Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
So i currently use my iphone 7+. But for digi modes i want to be able to use my splashtop program with a little bigger screen and zagg keyboard case to operate the home pc remotely on JT65, then obviously use the SmartSDR app on it for voice and cw. My question is, which model? Mini2 ($270), or the mini4 ($400). Biggest spec diff i see is the processor. But given all that im going to be doing with it, not sure if i need the 4 or not. Any input from personal experience would be appreciated. My 5yr old has an original ipad mini which i tried and it was slow at times. So, didnt know if the mini2 will fix that or if i need the processeor of the mini4. Thanks 73!

Answers

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have no experience with the Minis, but I can tell you that the Air2 works great and is just a bit larger.
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yeah i have one of them for work. But want something a lil more compact.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I would get the newer one in case you want to run SmartSDR for iOS.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I use an Air2 and an iPad Pro. Both work. Noticeable improvement with the Pro, so I'd say get the best processor available in the size you want.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    To Amplify Ria's comment it never hurts to have a faster processor because you never know what new goodies the future will bring.  
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yeah i run it daily from my iphone 7+. I found for digi modes, its easier from an ipad mini. I tried my daughters 1st gen ipad mini with success. Ill prolly just spring for the mini 4. Mostly im remoting to my home pc next to the rig, for digi/cw. Then using the app for voice operation.
  • WV9L
    WV9L Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks for everyones input. Usually i always go for the newest for headroom of future development. But i fig id see what everyone else has experienced.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.