iPad A10 Fusion Chip, 128GB WiFi only suitable platform for SmartSDR IOS?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
I am looking for an iPad for SmartSDR. I currently use SmartSDR on a Windows laptop and Maestro. I like the iPad form factor but am currently Android based. I notice Costco has the above unit on sale for $360 after a $40 savings. 

I realize this unit is WiFi only and I have no need/desire for mobile data network use (I am aware of some strong opinions within the community recommending an iPad with mobile data). 

So the question for the community, is this a reasonable platform for SmartSDR IOS? Will it give some suitable headroom for future SmartSDR growth? Are there any more cost effective options as a platform.

Thanks in advance!
73, Ron WB2WGH
Photo of Ronald Panetta

Ronald Panetta

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 123 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Any iPad capable of running iOS 10 will work. Anything being sold today will likely come with iOS 11. Should run SSDR for iOS just fine. I use a two year old iPad and it works great. I suggest buying a bluetooth headset with mic, and maybe a bluetooth Griffin Powermate (knob device with a single push-down function, used for tuning).
Photo of Ronald Panetta

Ronald Panetta

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So it sounds like the 2018 iPad platform is the way to go. To Bill's point, if mobile connectivity required, i can do that via Android hot spot. That is my plan. No need for 2 data plans. Per Dave and Ted's posts, lots of Bluetooth options available. Also sounds like no issue cheaping out on the 32GB, save the $40 and credit it to the purchase of SmartSDR for IOS given my primary device for apps and music are my android. Will likely load a few other ham related apps as don't want to be juggling iPad and Android at the same time.

Ron, WB2WGH
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 123 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
You can add logging also, although like adding support for the Griffin knob, it will cost you a few dollars (the current price for options can be found in the app under tools. The cost depends on currency, but I think it's around $7 per "tool".
Photo of Ronald Panetta

Ronald Panetta

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ted, yes logging is one of those "other" ham tools/apps i would want on the iPad.
Photo of Ronald Panetta

Ronald Panetta

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Done! Was at BJ's this AM. They have 32GB version MRJNFLL/A for $319.99 less $30 clipless coupon netting at $289.99. For those interested, clipless coupon expires 8/19. Bought it so now time to go play.

Thanks all!

Ron, WB2WGH
Photo of Ronald Panetta

Ronald Panetta

• 34 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Done! Was at BJ's this AM. They have 32GB version MRJNFLL/A for $319.99 less $30 clipless coupon netting at $289.99. For those interested, clipless coupon expires 8/19. Bought it so now time to go play.

Thanks all!

Ron, WB2WGH