iOS SDR thoughts... and then some

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I've been trying the new software on the iPhone and iPad.

On the phone: much better than running Skype and a control program. Definately a big improvement over what has been out there.

On the iPad: not really any better than the app NoMachine ( a free program) which gives A: remote access with 2 way audio. B: access to 3rd party applications on the pc such as wsjt fldigi, etc. 

While 1100 miles away from my home station, had excellent reports from stations who had no idea I wasn't in the shack. 

Had only one issue during my 2 week absence. In the middle of a contact, all of a sudden the radio disappeared. I never lost contact with my router and computers at home. I even rebooted the router thinking maybe there was some ip conflict, but couldn't get the radio to show back up.

When my son came home later that evening, he told me the Flex 6300 was still on (green).

I had him power it down and turn it back on again, this solved the problem.

Is there any way to reboot the Flex (box) remotely? At this time, I don't believe so. This is something that should be addressed in the future. There should be some way without having to press the button? 

Thoughts? please?  My next trip, there might not be anyone home to " press the button"!!
Photo of Howard Koenig

Howard Koenig

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Rob N4GA

Rob N4GA

• 152 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Oh, the son will still be there. He's way better than some IOT reboot - give him some credit!

I'm always texting my son to flip my amp on or off. 

:)
Photo of Howard Koenig

Howard Koenig

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I do all the time!
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3700 Posts
  • 1550 Reply Likes
Official Response
Easy to reboot the flex remotely. ''I use 2 WEMO switches. One closes a relay across the remote on port on the back of the Flex

The second toggles DC power.

Either will reboot the Flex.
Photo of Rob G6EIH

Rob G6EIH

• 102 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Use the same WEMO set up here and works great, never had any issues.
Photo of Howard Koenig

Howard Koenig

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
A little more into please.... which model WEMO... and not sure what the second switch is for or where it is placed.
Photo of Howard Koenig

Howard Koenig

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Im not understanding something.

If the WEMO plugs into the wall, and the FLEX plugs into the WEMO, how does this circumvent the issue?

It sounds almost like the old fashioned light timers which I used to use with the FLEX 3000 to shut it off at night and turn it back on in the morning. But the 3000 didn't need to be physically turned on every time.

Can someone please post a VIDEO? I'm a little... I mean.... very slow today. Experiencing jet lag before my next flight.

Thank You
Photo of Rob G6EIH

Rob G6EIH

• 106 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
WEMO Switch in the wall outlet powers the shack 12 volt supply on or off remotely by WIFI, lets me power everything on or off.

Then a WEMO Maker is used to remote switch the Flex 6xxx, the Maker has a relay output and if connected to the Flex 6xxx RCA connector remote on / off you can then power the Flex 6xxx on or off remotely at will. Remote on operation will need to be enabled in the Flex settings menu.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4166 Posts
  • 1328 Reply Likes
Check the hardware manual, (download from FlexRadio.com). It describes how to activate the RCA remote jack on the back of the rig. Once engaged in the settings menu, a simple relay connected to the RCA jack acts like the power button.

Use a WiMo or NEO WiFi power switch to activate a relay that closes and opens the connection to the jack.

You can add another fail safe by using a second wifi switch to control your power supply so that you can power-cycle the rig in case your rig gets seized up and won't respond to the RCA jack remote switch.

Some ops even use a third wifi switch to power cycle their computer remotely to reboot it when it crashes. (This requires setting your computer Bios to always turn back on after a power failure.)

Search the community for "AC relay" for links to some of the equipment several of us have used.....
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4166 Posts
  • 1328 Reply Likes
I purchased this from Amazon and had it hooked up and running in 10 minutes. It cost $8.95 with Free shipping (Amazon Prime Member). It has an AC pigtail to plug in and a three terminal panel to wire to N.O. or N.C. contacts. It is slick, and cheaper than I could ever build myself!

http://www.amazon.com/Enclosed-AC-Pro......

I am switching it with a NEO Wifi Controlled AC Switch that I also got from Amazon for about $22.
Or you can use a WiMo brand switch which is good, but more expensive.

Both have iPhone and iPad applications to turn them on & off.

Update: I just checked Amazon, and the NEO switch has gone up in price from $22 to $36 since I bought them in December.

The AC relay has not changed price.

Ken - NM9P
(Edited)
Photo of Howard Koenig

Howard Koenig

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Ken, are you saying that the AC pigtail thing.. that I connect an RCA jack to the terminals which gets plugged into the FLEX?

And that the AC thing gets plugged into the WEMO or NEO?
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4166 Posts
  • 1328 Reply Likes
Right. The WiMo/NEO switch turns AC on and off. The pigtail relay is controlled by the Switched AC. There are three terminals on the relay block. Common, Normally Open, and Normally Closed. I connect a RCA plug to the Normally open and Common contacts so that the relay closes when the NEO switch turns ON. That turns the radio on.

Works really slick. And for $8.95 I didn't need to solder anything up, just cannibalize an old RCA audio/video cable to connect to the relay box!
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4166 Posts
  • 1328 Reply Likes
There are other brands of switches out there that have the wifi switch and relay all in one box. Some have multiple AC switches and relay contacts in the same box. (I might eventually switch to one of them.).

There are also Audrino or Raspberry circuits that can be used. What I chose to use was cheap (always a plus for me) easy, and readily available from Amazon.
Photo of Howard Koenig

Howard Koenig

• 58 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
ok.. thanks.. Im gonna order on AMAZON and get it tomorrow.
Thanks. will let you know.
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1639 Posts
  • 599 Reply Likes
There are a variety of Ethernet-enabled relays out there. They make great Shack controllers.