Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

IOS 10.0.1 has removes PPTP VPN. Now what?

2»

Comments

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Winston will do but till today get not any hint :-(
  • John-K3MA
    John-K3MA Member
    edited June 2020
    For the Interface type.  Can TAP be used instead of TUN.  I had several windows laptops working via TAP they connect and find the Flex.  Now with TUN they connect but do not find the Flex.  Is there something I need to change on the windows laptops to use TUN and find the Flex or can I go back to what worked and use TAP with iOS 10?  The Flex has a reserved IP address on the network and all other setting are correct.

John K3MA
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    John, try using the "fixed" option in the settings form of SSDR-IOS. (In the program, not the rig or router). Set the IP address to whatever reserved IP you have assigned to the rig from the router. It sometimes makes a difference. See posts above for other information.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Btw... if you are using OpenVPN and wish to change from TAP to TUN, or the other way around, you must export a new configuration file and import it to your iPad.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    But TUN is easier to get working....
  • John-K3MA
    John-K3MA Member
    edited December 2016
    In OpenVPN connect for iOS I get the message "iOS doesn't support TAP-based tunnels.  I guess the only option is to work on getting TAP working with the windows based hardware.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Or you can use the static option in SmartSDR for iOS. I used OpenVPN and then switched to L2TP with a dedicated vpn box using softether. A $60 Raspberry pi can have you setup in one evening. If you want help, I've helped several others. It's not too hard.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ria, if you can write down the steps it help, i think, many others who "fighting" with this type of software (like me)  We will be thankful. A Raspberry solution will be great ...
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    There are videos on YouTube that explain it a lot better than a set of written steps. K6OZY has made one I know.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ria, your right and i know the video. I try 3 times with no success.
    Maybe i to old for this job with Linux.

I have asked before some weeks can any share a image from his PI. Looks like nobody have success with video .... ;-)  [OK, was a joke]
    2 or 3 OM's send me a email and ask me .. did you get a response ... can we get also a copy
    So i am happy, i am not alone so ****.

I have to wait till Dayton (any year) for SSDR 2.0 - i waiting now only 3 years for WAN 

73 Chris
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Chris - there is no image per se because each config has a unique key. But I can try configuring your setup if you want. I may end up doing a script to automate the process as well. But let me know if you want me to try.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ria, i know there will be no 100% ready PI image. Making some small changes (to personalize) will be not the problem. All needed hardware i have.

Maybe i have to give a 4 try and should reduce speed of Youtube video - maybe then i can follow.

Chris
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I have some scripts you can try if you like. I don't see an email where I can send them to you. It should fully automate the process, except for port forwarding and setting static DHCP in your router. If you would like to try it out, let me know and let me know where I can email it to you. 
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Ria, I would be very much appreciate if you could also send the scripts to me, as I am really out of my comfort zone trying to get set up a SoftEther Server on my PI 3 Many tnx Winston winston(dot)henry(@)bigpond(dot)com
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Rita. I purchased a pi3 at Dayton this year, but haven't done much with it. Is there a GUI interface for Softether for the PI? I would rather not mess with script. If I could configure it the way I did on my Windows machine when I played with it, I might try it for a while.
  • John-K3MA
    John-K3MA Member
    edited December 2016
    I got **** at the fact that Apple has caused me a issue.  So I decided to load Softether on the shack WIndows PC and set it up for use by the remote Windows laptops.  Now I have WIndows laptops using Softether successfully and iPads using OpenVPN connect.  All works but I hate having to use two solutions so I need to see how to allow L2TP on the same Softether server so that the iPads can connect natively along with the WIndows laptops.  Then I can remove OpenVPN from both the ASUS router, iPAds and Windows computers.  Not what I wanted to do but once again its Apples way or no way.
  • John-K3MA
    John-K3MA Member
    edited December 2016
    Really quite easy to add L2TP to the Softether Server and now able to connect with native VPN clients in both Windows and Apple hardware.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Hi Ken-

There is a GUI, SoftEther VPN Server manager. It has a wizard for Easy VPN setup.

I only made the script because people have been asking for an image. 

- Ria (no t) :)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sorry, Ria. My sister-in-law's name is Rita and my "auto-corrupt" changed it. I didn't notice until your response. It tried to change it again in this post! Thanks for the info. I will hook it up and try it later this week.
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Netgear just released a Nighthawk X10 router with built-in OpenVPN support: 

"Other non-speed-related goodies that come with the X10 include new mobile support for OpenVPN, so you can tap into your home network even when you're overseas."

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/19/netgear-s-new-nighthawk-router-doubles-as-a-plex-server/

Possibly useful to some here.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.