Introducing Maestro!

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Introducing Maestro - an intuitive, plug-and-play control console that directs operation of any FLEX-6000 Signature Series transceiver without need of a traditional PC.   Connect Maestro directly or through your local area network (LAN) to any FLEX6300, FLEX-6500 or FLEX-6700 transceiver and you are ready to operate.

Maestro harmoniously combines a high definition 8 inch touch display in concert with ergonomically designed controls to enhance ease of use and maximize workflow efficiency in virtually any SmartSDRTM application.

Maestro places the most frequently used controls directly at your fingertips.  Controls are labeled for intuitive operation and designed to minimize hand motion for the most common operations.  Occasionally used controls are easily accessible on the large touch screen display bypassing the complexity of multi-function buttons and multi-level menus found on most transceivers.  Like modern phones and tablets, capacitive touch control is provided on the large LCD display for intuitive pan, zoom, tune, and menu operation.

Ever wish you could monitor the bands or work DX from the comfort of your living room or out on the patio?  Now you can!  Maestro's small footprint and minimal wiring cleans up your operating position and lets you mount the radio virtually anywhere in the shack or around the house.    Its sleek, lightweight design makes it easy to carry or  pack.  An optional battery pack even lets you operate completely untethered.  Off the shelf VESA and VESA to RAM® adapters provide a wealth of mounting options.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9153 Posts
  • 3496 Reply Likes
  • EXCITED!!!!

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Steve - KD8QWT

Steve - KD8QWT

• 74 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I touched it! Very impressive.
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
You touched it?  Give us details! ;-) How did the knobs feel? Screen quality? Responsiveness?
Photo of Steve - KD8QWT

Steve - KD8QWT

• 74 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
The knobs are smooth and very responsive, but slightly lighter feel then some radios. I'm not a big knob guy, but they felt good to me. It did not have the feel of a prototype. The screen has the typical sharpness and viewing angle of IPS displays. Overall it's larger than I expected. I was on my way to the TAPR forum do I didn't have much time to play with it.
Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 541 Posts
  • 315 Reply Likes
Alright, I'll admit it:  I'm both totally surprised and impressed.  I have exactly zero need for this, but I want one nonetheless because it's so darn cute.

Bravo.

Peter
K1PGV
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
My thoughts exactly.
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 942 Posts
  • 261 Reply Likes
I gave in and preordered one.
But, still looking forward to William's app and my cobbled up masterpiece!
James
WD5GWY
Photo of Beppe IK3VIG

Beppe IK3VIG

• 56 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
A simple but effective use of Maestro:

- Maestro tunes and listens on SSB band
- the other band DAX on PC for digitals or Skimmer

Photo of Jim - N7CXI

Jim - N7CXI

• 124 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Answers both contesters and competition.
Nicely done.

Jim N7CXI
Photo of Greg - KØGDI

Greg - KØGDI

• 71 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
A shame that you can't plug a USB cable into it to run digital modes off the head unit.  :(
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1770 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
Actually, it would be cool to run digital modes directly in the maestro
Photo of Ned K1NJ

Ned K1NJ

• 305 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
   Although it hasn't been mentioned, the inclusion of Bluetooth might allow the use of a
keyboard and mouse for those so inclined.  Also, to free us from needing a PC device of
some kind, a way to do logging via Maestro would be very useful.  A window into
the home PC comes to mind.  Something like that would also allow remote control of a
rotor and other devices at the home station.  I suspect Flex has give some thought to this.

Ned,  K1NJ
Photo of Ali - 9K2WA

Ali - 9K2WA

• 110 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I already booked my  unit 12 hours ago.

I wish and hope it could switch on the radio if Remote ON is enabled, I think the time has come for this function to be implemented.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes
It's bigger than I thought it would. Be

• 1770 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
LOL, I have seen this picture already in a forum in Spain and someone sent it to me by whatsapp 
Photo of Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

• 495 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
wow that looks great! 
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 651 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
That doesn't look like an Apple watch on your arm?

Jon...kf2e
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes
Suunto D4i Dive Watchx 2
(Edited)
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 606 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Did not realized how big "Maestro" was: Although, I did read the size spec's ...
I can just see it on my desk! 
PRETTY 
(Edited)
Photo of William Hemmingsen

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Not sure if this was asked, but can you get rid of the second slice so that a single slice fills the screen?

William
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 822 Posts
  • 1476 Reply Likes
Yes
Photo of WA6FXT Mike

WA6FXT Mike

• 216 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes

Gerald,

If you still have time, you might want to rethink the microphone connector. A connector that is 6000 series compatible would save a lot of grief and complaints.

My $0.02

Mike wa6fxt

PS: Mine's on order.

Oh? - Will I be charged the full amount on my PayPal, when it ships or will I be asked first? (Do I need to keep the $900 on tap, or will I get notified first?)

Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 586 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Got mine ordered in the first hour after Gerald gave us the dog & pony show!
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1612 Posts
  • 570 Reply Likes
Played with it in the booth a bit today. The "feel" is excellent. The visual display is beautiful. It is quite large, so I can't imagine going mobile with Maestro. What a great unit for an EOC Comms Desk, a second home, or office. As long as there's good networking, this is awesome!
Photo of Roy Laufer

Roy Laufer

• 439 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Here's a fresh Youtube video of the Maestro. Its a bit larger and thicker than I first thought, but it looks like it will be  a great addition!
http://youtu.be/CK8ptGlRDjw
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Yeah it does look a little larger than I expected.  I'm glad the display is as large as it is though.
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 651 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
While this certainly looks like an interesting device...it is huge...and another device to haul around. I would have been much more excited if it had been a fully functional app for Android or IOS. I'm looking forward to WAN remote, but would like to be able to do it with a portable device. While William is doing some nice work on his Android program, it would be nice to have an officially supported app for something other than Windows. I'm not confident that 3rd party apps are going to fill the void.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1138 Posts
  • 412 Reply Likes

I am glad it is big, easier to use.

I can afford it easily but I don't see the point to have it in your house, unless I can take it outside in the sun. Call me when it can use a WAN.

What can it do that a laptop cannot?

Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
It doesn't require Windows?
It's got knobs and buttons and physical controls
Presumably, it will would just fine and dandy with 2.x
Photo of Roy Laufer

Roy Laufer

• 439 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I assume that the primary differences are the knobs and buttons. For those that don't need them, a 'kludged' up windows based tablet should suffice.

I was considering something like the MS Surface Pro 3 (or the eventually to be announced Surface Pro 4) to serve a similar purpose, previously. I'm a bit confused by the apparent thickness of the unit. Tablets (and laptops) seem significantly thinner in modern design.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
but on the other hand it has to support the depth of the plugs for keyer and headphones etc.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
The more I thought about it, after I ordered it, the more I realized what I am doing adds more value. So, as I told William, I have to amp up my game here. I am guessing since nobody has responded it doesn't do the current Wifi protocol (ac). Some people call that n but devices I have specifically call out 5G, like my laptop, tablet, and Tivo.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3642 Posts
  • 1473 Reply Likes
I bought one. But it's Far too big to schlep around.

Give me an iPad app
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
As for the 802.11 a/b/g/n, will it work with 802.11ac? In other words was the absence of /ac an oversight or will it not work with 5G aka 802.11ac
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
+1 for 5ghz / ac.  2.4ghz around my house isn't as reliable due to all the access points around here.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
Stuff I bought years ago had 5G (ac), it is WAY more reliable and faster.
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Nevermind, just saw another post in this thread that it supports 5ghz. Yay!
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 822 Posts
  • 1476 Reply Likes
We are running all units on 5G in the booth. You don't want to even try 2G in Hara Arena. ;)
Photo of SteveM

SteveM

• 257 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I wonder how software upgrades/licensing for Maestro are tied to SmartSDR releases. Is there separate licensing? Will SmartSDR v2.0 include an upgrade for Maestro?
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Ordered a unit for me!  Can't wait for Santa to schedule his stop
Photo of KD8TVB

KD8TVB

• 49 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I held the hardware this morning, very nice! Good work team Flex!

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
One thing I noticed is the mic input is rj-45 vs the 8pin din of the flex.  Will this come with a handmic? 

Thanks,

William
Photo of Roy Laufer

Roy Laufer

• 439 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
A hand mic is one of the optional products that can add to the base price. Other options are some supports to prop the display up, and a LiPO battery.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
The little stands are optional?  I would think these would be included as they are pictured on the unit.
Photo of Roy Laufer

Roy Laufer

• 439 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I originally assumed the battery was part of the basic package. Someone earlier in one of these Maestro threads suggested that a SSDR 2.0 upgrade be thrown in for free.

I guess there just ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Photo of K2CM

K2CM

• 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Will it interface to N1MM logger?
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 822 Posts
  • 1476 Reply Likes
Yes. N1MM talks directly to the radio through CAT.
Photo of WA6FXT Mike

WA6FXT Mike

• 216 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Tim,

Ok! It's on order; however, I think FRS should reconsider not providing either a microphone or the adapter to use the radio's mic. For the price, it should come with some form of microphone setup.

73's de Mike wa6fxt

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I agree, the device should be usable out of the box.

What is the pinout of the mic connector anyway?  Yaesu, Icom?

I also think the little feet stands should be included as well. 

William
Photo of Winston VK7WH

Winston VK7WH

• 270 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
So do i
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 865 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
My vote would be NO mic as there are plenty in the station, it'a personal choice and would add unnecessary extra cost.  The user may even use a Bluetooth  
Photo of WA6FXT Mike

WA6FXT Mike

• 216 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes

There are *NOT* plenty in the station that are compatible with the Maestro. If it was 6000 series compatible, then I would agree.

Mike

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4070 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
A possible option, since a mike with a different connector was sent with the 6000 series, is to include just the cable (or sell one inexpensively) that has the coiled cord and RJ-45 connectors on each end. This would be compatible with the 6000's mike with a simple cord change.

I have two mikes, one for the 6500 and one for my 1500, so I would be good either way if I chose to purchase a Maestro.
Photo of Reg

Reg

• 121 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
Howard told the Community about the great audio reports he gets while operating remote with a Logitech Bluetooth headset.  I bought a Logitech H800 headset and it generates great audio reports.  My plan will be to use the Bluetooth (wireless) headset with the Maestro.  The combination of a wireless headset and a battery in the Maestro will allow some types of operation to be conducted while completely free of wires.  (At least for the length of the battery charge.)  To me that is a nice option for some uses of the Maestro.  

Flex products are always well engineered so I am confident that by the time the final product is shipped they will have a reasonable solution for how to use our existing MICs with the Maestro, for those who wish to do so. 

Reg
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 865 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
This is a guess!  But I think this adapter would take the RJ 11 connector to the 8-pin format s on the front panel of a 6K series:

AD-100: Demultiplex adapter for FT 100. RJ11 to 8 pin Yaesu

http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/support/adapters/171

Undoubtedly FRS will have a adaptimicator/pigtail available when the product ships.

Regards All,

k3Tim
Photo of Mike - W8MM

Mike - W8MM

• 193 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
It would be quite handy for really simple wiring if Maestro could be powered by POE as well as 10-15 VDC.  Then, only a single ethernet cable would be required for connection.  I didn't see a DC current consumption spec to get an idea if standard Power-over-Ethernet has enough juice to support it.  Lots of networked devices are powered this way nowadays.
Photo of Lee - N2LEE

Lee - N2LEE

• 275 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
Mike, out of all of the suggestions, I think yours has (had) the most merit. But, after doing some research on PoE limitations I doubt there is enough current available to handle the power requirements for the screen and other components.

It appears that out of the eight 24 AWG cat 5 wires only four carry PoE. And depending on the length there is considerable amount of voltage drop.

Plus if you look at how many people post problems with basic networking I could see how this could create a potential support nightmare for Flex. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

Good suggestion and kudos for thinking outside the box. :)
Photo of Lee - N2LEE

Lee - N2LEE

• 275 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
It's a little surprising so many comments are about what this product should be or does it include this or that.

We have been given a sneak peak at a product that is still in development. The Maestro will not be shipped till the end of the year and a lot can change between now and then.

We might want to keep that in mind.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
Excellent point, two things:

1) it might already be fully baked, just pending a ramped up production slot, in which case feature set is complete.
2) it may still have some feature leeway, in which case some of these ideas may make it into the final product.

Gerald, Steve, are you showing the final product or is there still design, h or s, wiggle room?

• 1770 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
@Lee, I think that is exactly the point of commenting prior to the release. We are all voicing our opinion about what might be more useful or convenient to have in the final iteration of the maestro.
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 822 Posts
  • 1476 Reply Likes
@Walt, we have very minor wiggle room here and there. It's pretty well baked. Don't know what you mean by "h or s" though?
Photo of GI4FZD

GI4FZD

• 129 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Think he means hardware or software...could be wrong,just a guess.
Cheers
Paul
gi4fzd
Photo of Lee - N2LEE

Lee - N2LEE

• 275 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
I guess what is disappointing is that Flex has just announced a cutting edge, game changing product and yet I see comment after comment about things like a mic connector.

I have no doubt that this is a platform that will evolve with software updates.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Why is this disappointing?  Customer feedback is valuable to a company.

William
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 954 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
I concur, William. Yaesu did the right thing with the MD100A8X microphone though, which I use for the Flex-3000 and the Flex-6500. It has both connectors, just turn the cable around...
Technically it should be easy to have both connectors on the maestro.
And feet to prop it up are a few $. Not including them is a bit on the
cheap side. Reminds me of my ICOM ID-5100, a mobile TRX which is great
in any other way except that they don't include a mobile mounting bracket!
(Edited)
Photo of Lee - N2LEE

Lee - N2LEE

• 275 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
Not sure nit picking about something like a rj-45 vs a 8 pin connector is valuable feedback. NInety Nine percent of people have not even seen or used this product. So feedback based on a brochure is not actual useful.

Every user has something they "think" is valid feedback. We all have a wish list of Features like "N" vs "AC" WIFI, POE or connector type we think a product should do or not do.

What most people forget is so many decisions in product develop are a difficult balance between what it cost to produce and engineering. If ever feature every user wanted two things would happen.
  1. The product would never be finished and never see the light of day.
  2. Would cost so much that the market would be too limited. There are products like this but they are designed by committee, take years to build and purchased by the government. :)
By the time a product is ready to demonstrate and take orders, the hardware engineering is pretty much complete.  Software feedback and suggestions would make a lot more sense once we see the final product.
Photo of WA6FXT Mike

WA6FXT Mike

• 216 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Alex,
Exactly my point. Having to buy a different mic, than the mic that came with the radio it interfaces to seems like a bad idea.
As for the stand... I believe the unit comes with a "fixed angle" stand.

Mike
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
@Lee, my order was predicated on the WiFi technology.
Lee, are you really upset because people arn't asking "may I have some more please sir"?
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 865 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Idea - buy an adapter cable or make one instead of buying a new mic.

RJ-11 - likely this is a pickNplace (pNp) part that is soldered direct to PWB.  The 8-pin IF not pNp would add a fair portion to the cost of mfg.  A pNp machine is good for about 1 part per second whereas hand solder would take minutes.

The POE is a good thought but would add considerably to the BoM:

http://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/en/an/AN5044.pdf

I recall reading the battery is lithium phosphate which I assume means  Lithium Iron Phospate (LiFePO4).  An excellent choice.  One could have 2 bats, with one in an external charger at all times, ready to go.

_..--
k3Tim
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3178 Posts
  • 706 Reply Likes
I remember making cables for my Flex 3000 for different mic's. It was no big deal, easy.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
I think whining over the fact people are asking questions before they lay down $1,000 is an unrealistic expectation. What is more unrealistic is that there, apparently, are people who will drop any amount of money on anything coming out of FRS, "Please sir, might I have another"? If this BB would hold audio, I'd do it in my very best Cockney waif accent. I am thinking the adapter for the 1500 would work but I can't find mine now. I do agree with the previous poster that for $1,000, it should work out of the box and include whatever adapters are necessary. That is a packaging issue, not a production line issue.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4070 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
I think we can all chill and enjoy the give and take of feedback. The folks at FRS are big boys and girls. I am sure they are quite adept at sorting through mounds of feedback and deciding what is valuable and what goes to File 13. You don't get this far in business if your ego is fragile or if you can't make decisions in the face of competing ideas and mounds of suggestions. These folks are professionals.
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 822 Posts
  • 1476 Reply Likes
Maestro has two mic connectors. One is 1/8" (3.5 mm) and the other is a RJ45 that is just like then one on the FLEX-1500 and FLEX-3000. Putting an 8-pin Foster on there would have raised the cost and price. They are very unfriendly for manufacturing.

I can see from some comments here that some people have no concept of what it costs to build a quality product for the low volume by definition ham market.
Photo of Lee - N2LEE

Lee - N2LEE

• 275 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
First of all I am not the one whining, I am pointing out the fact that we are suppose to be experimenters, operators and hobbyist. There was a time when a ham could make a stupid mic cable.

Asking questions before spending $1000 is of course perfectly reasonable but 90% of the post are whining not questions.

Reasonable questions are ... 
"How did the knobs feel? Screen quality? Responsiveness?"
"Does the Bluetooth allow keyboard and mouse support?"
"I wish and hope it could switch on the radio if Remote ON is enabled"

Those are reasonable but if you look at the brochure it answers almost every hardware question that has been asked.

With SO much great technology at our fingertips, my disappointment comes from complaints about mic connectors or N vs AC wifi. Really ?

We have just been handed an amazing capability that removes the need for a bug infested Windows OS or laptop. Something with a touch screen that takes up little to NO room and has Knobs !

I am by no means drinking the Flex Kool-aid.  The Maestro won't be for every one or even every Flex owner. Others have seen the potential and jumped on the band wagon. But to pick apart the product at this stage of the game in my opinion shows short sightedness and how far ham radio has devolved. This is the source of my disappointment.
(Edited)
Photo of Lee - N2LEE

Lee - N2LEE

• 275 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
Gerald, there is one question I have and this about the lack of USB interface. I would have assume many people would use a USB headset with the Maestro.

Is it a safe to assume that this was an software engineering decision based on the fact that it would require Flex to write a couple hundred USB drivers to support those devices ?
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1138 Posts
  • 412 Reply Likes

I don't know how Flex makes money selling to hams.

Which will be first shipped Maestros or WAN? 

Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 942 Posts
  • 261 Reply Likes
I bet that's a toss up Bert!
james
WD5GWY
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 822 Posts
  • 1476 Reply Likes
Lee, Headset is 1/8" Jack. Will also be testing Bluetooth devices. USB is a can of worms. There will not be a USB port on Maestro. Maestro is an appliance.
Photo of Lee - N2LEE

Lee - N2LEE

• 275 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
That is what I figured. Writing or getting others to write usb drivers would definitely be a nightmare and something you guys do not need to spend valuable bandwidth on.

I hope the response you received at Dayton on the Maestro was positive.

Of course any positive feedback you received will quickly be a distant memory when people will start whining about when the next Release will be available or why hasn't the Maestro shipped on Oct. 1st. LOL

Gerald, personally I think this move is right on the money and my hope is this will enable Flex to catch the interest of the knob radio users and grow your market share.

If someone has the insight to read between the lines this is just another piece of the puzzle in your long term strategy. It wasn't that clear before but this "appliance" as you call it brings Flex two steps closer to being able to provide a virtual radio environment.

Simply GRAB the Maestro off your desk, throw it in the padded black carrying case with the embroidered Flex logo that is included with each unit (hint, hint) and hit the road. ;)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
@Gerald Paul gets the star I meant hardware or software. And I only asked to settle question that Lee had whether or not this was fully baked in which case there's no point to asking for new features or there was some wiggle room about what sort of Mic connector or what have you.
(Edited)
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 340 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
I would like to see it in slate or silver color (sarcasm)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4070 Posts
  • 1267 Reply Likes
Henry Ford said you could have his Model-T in any color you want...as long as it is black!
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 822 Posts
  • 1476 Reply Likes
The two mic connectors are fixed. The hardware is basically baked.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
Two mics, so you could transmit, in, you know, stereo? How cool is that. I'll take 2...just because I can.
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 942 Posts
  • 261 Reply Likes
But, can you talk in stereo?
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 822 Posts
  • 1476 Reply Likes
Only one can be selected at a time. Sorry, no stereo.
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 942 Posts
  • 261 Reply Likes
So close!! Just kidding,,,,,,,,,I am looking forward to getting my Maestro when it arrives. And I know my wife is looking forward to getting more access to the computer when I'm home.
james
WD5GWY
( Also, hoping to see one in action at HAMCOM in Irving next month!)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1138 Posts
  • 412 Reply Likes
Talk in stereo? Politicians talk out of both sides of their mouth
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
Gerald or Steve, is it made in the US?
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 623 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
No.  It's made in Texas.  :)
Photo of Lee - N2LEE

Lee - N2LEE

• 275 Posts
  • 143 Reply Likes
Hmm I thought I read it was made at the North Pole by Elves.  Must been a misprint. LOL
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 822 Posts
  • 1476 Reply Likes
Steve, correction - Republic of Texas. Wink.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
Wasn't it "Grand Old Republic of Tx? I am really not up on my Texas history. I do like Austin very much though.

@Steve, points for that come-back!!!
All seriousness aside, that is huge in my book and I am OK paying extra to keep Americans (ok, even Texans, I suppose) gainfully employed. So part of buying stuff from FRS is all part of the Corey Economic Recovery Act.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 865 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
I'm with you on that Walt - I go out of my way to buy made in USA.  Shoes / boots / clothes, cars etc.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1321 Posts
  • 668 Reply Likes
Really exciting product.  Lots of great thoughts.

The mention of PoE would be a great inclusion/option for many.

A way to interface one's usual microphones, hand mic, boomset or audio equipment would be something that interests me.

• Could a dedicated hardcase be configured & offered?
  • Curious how Maestro will update/upgrade with SmartSDR evolution?
  • What is the plan with the Version 1 and Version 2 mentioned at Dayton?
  • Will Maestro be software updatable or is this a physical update to the unit?
  • Will colors options be user configured (thinking of high contrast configurations for low light use)?
  • Will the F-Keys be user configured and could they control station gear other than the Flex-6x00 itself?
  • And can I borrow a prototype for a week?  (Hopeful - and know if you don't ask it is certainly never going to happen!)
  • Am I going to hurt it if it freezes?
  • What if it goes -25c, is it okay?
  • Ditto on if it is exposed to 125 F heat?
  • Water resistance?

Very excellent concept looking to be a lovely product.  

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1045 Posts
  • 1023 Reply Likes
The mention of PoE would be a great inclusion/option for many.

This is an excellent idea.  I'll look into if it would be possible to add this.

A way to interface one's usual microphones, hand mic, boomset or audio equipment would be something that interests me.

Maestro will have 1/8" mic and headphone inputs as well as an RJ-45.
  • Could a dedicated hardcase be configured & offered?
We are investigating this.
  • Curious how Maestro will update/upgrade with SmartSDR evolution?
No promises, but the current thinking is that it will detect an update on the internet and prompt for automatic update.
Not sure what's being asked here ...
  • Will Maestro be software updatable or is this a physical update to the unit?
Software of course!  Who do you think we are?? haha
  • Will colors options be user configured (thinking of high contrast configurations for low light use)?
It will ship with standard colors.  This is an outstanding request on SmartSDR and if we do it, we would probably do it for Maestro and SmartSDR at the same time.
  • Will the F-Keys be user configured and could they control station gear other than the Flex-6x00 itself?
Yes they are configurable.  Initially they will control radio functions that are not on the front panel.  The possibility exists that they could control other things in the shack also.
  • And can I borrow a prototype for a week?  (Hopeful - and know if you don't ask it is certainly never going to happen!)
We have received a large number of requests for this.  Today, we are not through with all of the design and the prototypes are needed to continue work.  I can't say yet when we will have more units for testing, but we intend to do testing with the next set of hardware/softa
  • Am I going to hurt it if it freezes?
  • What if it goes -25c, is it okay?
  • Ditto on if it is exposed to 125 F heat?
We have not done environmental testing or a rollup of component temp tolerances.  
  • Water resistance?
Maestro is not water resistant.  

Very excellent concept looking to be a lovely product.  
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1787 Posts
  • 622 Reply Likes
Hi Steve,
Regarding this item:

Not sure what's being asked here ...

I'm sure you were bombarded with questions at the booth this week.    But when we were talking about Maestro I asked whether it could be be used "with SSDR" as a control surface only.  In other words use both my PC running SSDR and Maestro connected to the radio at the same time and using the Maestro knobs, buttons and touch display for controlling the radio only and not displaying the panadapter/waterfall.   You suggested that the display on Maestro could be used for additional  radio information and not display the panadapter and waterfall in this mode.   You said this capability and the ability to connect both the radio and Maestro at the same time might, or might not, be available in version 1.  (i.e. it could be in a later version 2 release).    

Several of us were discussing this capability at our table at the Flex dinner and it's a variation on the question that my neighbor asked about the "knobs only"  prototype that was shown at the dinner.   It would be basically a FlexContol on steroids.  There was a lot of interest in this capability / mode (about 40 hands raised if I remember correctly). 

This might be what Steve is referring to:

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1321 Posts
  • 668 Reply Likes
Thank you Steve N5AC for all the info in the reply!

I did pick up on the mention of Ver1 and Ver2 - but perhaps that was simply a way of describing the roll-out feature set become richer with later updates?

There is a LOT of positive to what Maestro will do for a ham - personally I already see how it will open up the possibilities for my vacation QTH site shack design with the LAN removing the need to be in absolute proximity of the radio rack.  I'm thinking to use a Maestro along with a Pad to let me move my operating station to anywhere around the QTH's wireless network footprint.  Rack of gear can remain physically secure in a server room type environment while I operate from the deck enjoying nature while piling on QSOs.  Very fine vision.

Since I'm asking questions:

• Will the configuration of a Maestro be clone-able to another Maestro if I had more than one?
  • Will the Flex-6x00 have a timer watchdog or deadman feature to stop transmitting and/or shut down if network to the Maestro is lost?
  • Can a Maestro be configured to require a PIN to start a session, or is another security method planned?
  • The mention of checking for update via internet, will a non-internet connected private LAN Maestro require occasional internet hookup, or could updates be brought to the private network to seed the update?  (Thinking of my Island efforts - often without much in the way of internet).
  • Could a Maestro used in the occasional access to internet seed a SmartSDR version update to the remote LAN?
  • Or is there a better strategy for handling potentially a mix of version levels that might evolve?

Again many thanks for putting up with all the questions and hoping Maestro is the success it feel like it should be!

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1321 Posts
  • 668 Reply Likes

Will the spec sheet we updated as follow up to all these great questions and bits of information?

Steve

K9ZW