Internet required?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
At FD (and all these problems I am posting seem to stem from that outing) I had strange things happen when starting SmartSDR.  We had no internet connection and were using only a switch.  I have already described the frustration of not knowing that a static IP can't be set for the 6000 series radios in another post, but even after I solved that problem, the control program took forever to start, well over a minute.  And, ddUtil, which also complained that there was no internet connection, could not find the radio even though I could see it connecting to SmartCAT.

Does SmartSDR want to phone home?  I ran the program on my network at home when I got back last night and the boot speed was restored.  I am guessing that it does something over the internet connection and won't finish the bootup until it finally determines that there is no working internet connection.  It did the same thing when I had it connected to a router to be able to get an IP address from it's DHCP server.  At home it is fine.

Anyone else seeing this or is this something known that I didn't know?

thanks

Photo of geep

geep

• 31 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9032 Posts
  • 3431 Reply Likes
Internet access is not required for running SmartSDR; it does not "phone home" unless you manually select the menu item for support that connects you to the HelpDesk which is an internet based service.

We run the radios all the time in an isolated network with a DHCP server for IP address allocation.  This is the configuration we use for hamfests.
Photo of geep

geep

• 31 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Ok Tim, I can't reproduce the problem at home.  The program comes right up either on my network with no internet access or using the switch that I used at the FD site with a second machine connected just as we were set up at FD.  I don't have the other two computers that were on the network so I guess there could have been some anomaly with the two of them added to the network that might have caused me issues.  Won't be able to test with them until next June, so I'll go back to the drawing board.  It certainly was strange, acted as though the SmartSDR program was looking for something that it failed to find before putting up the login window.  I did not think internet access was a requirement but that was the only thing missing from the setup, other than a DHCP server, and I had to play games with a quickly acquired router to get the radio an address and then move it and the host computer back to the switch.  Strange.  Thanks
Photo of geep

geep

• 31 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
And, as an aside, I still can't get ddUtil to work here.  It says it is connecting to SmartCAT but only when I do a band change does it see the band and frequency, then won't change when I change bands again and does not track frequency.  I can send macros to make changes on 20 meters and the radio sees those, but no others.  Strange behavior off to the ddUtil list to post questions.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3470 Posts
  • 1335 Reply Likes
Routers are very inexpensive. Suggest u use a router next year
Photo of Howard -W6HDG

Howard -W6HDG

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I set up my 6300 at our local Field Day and used a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablet with a USB to ethernet dongle. SmartSDR started right up for me. I did notice that the radio needs to be rebooted if you switch to a straight through ethernet connection when trying a router. So auto negotiation from crossover mode is not necessarily dynamic plug and play?

I did have two small issues. I used DAX to let spectators hear the rig audio through the tablet. There was an annoying delay in that audio vs the audio on headphones connected to the radio. Is there any way to minimize this? Would a faster computer have helped?

I also had some quick jumping up and down of the baseline noise floor - but it could have been local interference due to the hilltop site in Escondido, CA. It was not the Flex as someone had a Fun cube dongle and he was experiencing that same sort of behavior when he connected to the 20m beam.

Howard W6HDG
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3470 Posts
  • 1335 Reply Likes
I suspect you ran into the Dreaded Windows DPC issue with DAX. U might want to set up that configuration again and monitor DPC.
(Edited)