Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Internal Solid State Hybrid Drive recommendation please

elan
elan Member
 Internal Solid State Hybrid Drive recommendation  please 
thank you 
vy 73 elan g0uut

Answers

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I agree, the Samsung SSDs are top rated and provide outstanding performance. Just check the Amazon reviews.

Jon...kf2e
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I've been using a Crucial 250 Gb SSD for the past ten years without a hiccup. Fabulous drive.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    My company is in the storage business.  We have used many different SSD devices over the years.  You can't go wrong with Samsung EVO or SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD's.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have been using Samsung EVO drives in all my computers since 2010. No issues But I believe Elan was asking about Hybrid drives which are a bit less expensive and definitely slower I have no experience withHybrid Drives
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Best benchmark site for SSDs

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/
  • elan
    elan Member
    edited February 2018
    hello to all great info however i am after a very fast one what model KY6LA Howard you can recommend Samsung EVO?
    elan g0uut
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I m using 250GB and 500GB Samsung EVO

Most of my machines are configured with 2 X 250GB in a RAID 1 mirrored backup

One has 5 X 500GB in a RAID5 for sped an backup

My RAID ARE OVERKILL. U dO not need them.

If your computer can handle the speed Samsung PRO series are faster
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I've heard Raid 5 with SSDs is not good due to the high number of parity writes.  You might Google this and see if this matters to you.  Here's an example: http://serverfault.com/questions/513909/what-are-the-main-points-to-avoid-raid5-with-ssd

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    My Raid 5 has been running since 2013. So far no 9issuew
  • elan
    elan Member
    edited December 2016
    hello Jon
    what model you think will be good to buy please ?
    elan g0uut
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I have used the EVO 850 drives and have been very satisfied.

Jon...kf2e
  • elan
    elan Member
    edited December 2016
    is this any good any comment  
    Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)
     btw how easy is to transfer all the data from my old drive to this new drive do i need spacial software any one can help how to do this please thank you kind to all of you very kind 
    good weekend now 
    vy 73 elan g0uut
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I have several Samsung's EVO of various capacity including an 850. I love it!
    And to answer your question about special software; again in my situation several have come with the drive and cables to make the installation flawlessly. 
    My oldest Samsung drive is approximately 4 years old.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

OK, but if you have or are getting a new system and want really fast then be advised SATA attached SSD is slow; limited to SATA architecture.

Many motherboards for RYO or prebuilt have a unique PCI-Express M.2 slot for a M.2 SSD.  Samsung M.2 SM951 MZVPV128HDGM in my case; there are newer versions available.

I see ONLY 5 TIMES the speed over Kingston or Samsung SSD on the SATA bus.

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I would recommend the Samsung Pro line versus the lower end EVO line. The 960 PRO is a very good (MLC) drive and should be generally available in a couple of weeks. I recommend you trade capacity for quality and go with the best quality drive you can afford. Peter K1PGV
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'll 2nd the EVO 850 SSDs.  They are top notch.  I have been using them for several years now and have never had a failure of any kind.

I would not go with a hybrid but spring for a good Samsung EVO 850 and be done with it.  The drive is extremely fast, silent, doesn't use much power or produce much heat, and is very dependable.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.