Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Interesting solution to SmartLink port forwarding not working.

David Decoons, wo2x
David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I was helping a friend in Ohio who purchased the SmartSDR 2 license upgrade. He was unable to get a green indication when clicking the Test button in SmartLink Network settings. 

Long story short, after going through his router and PC firewall settings, we discovered his WAN IP address to be 192.168.10.245, a private IP address.

He has DSL and the Internet provider uses a single WAN IP that then feeds private IPs to a group of houses. The solution was for him to contact the provider and port forward external ports 4993 UDP and 4994 TCP to his ISP provided router.

I thought I would mention this here in case anyone else ever runs into this situation.

Dave wo2x

Comments

• N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    wow that does not sound very secure
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Hi Nick

Not secure in what way? His router in his house only forwards ports 4993 and 4994 to his radio. Same as your Internet setup. Only difference is his ISP is not giving him a public IP but a private IP. 

In some ways this is more secure than your setup (If you were to connect your PC directly to your ISPs modem).

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.