Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Interesting noise spectra.

George KF2T
George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
imageimage Opinions? Bit of a head scratcher for me. Broadband noise (thankfully not continuously) with a pronounced dip where I expect the band filter to be... or is it? Same with tuner in or out, even on different antenna (different levels, of course). Not so much interested in the noise itself, but why/how the band cutout works. Fascinating stuff!

Answers

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    That is an interesting screen shot showing the call sign too... What software is that??
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

Looks lie SmartSDR for IOS on either iPad or iPhone

Dave wo2x

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    Nice
  • Mike Aust
    Mike Aust Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Yes, I have seen this before, you just found the band edges of the band filter for 20meters 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    That is Dogparksoftware for Mac ...Noi SmartSDR for iOS.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Well, now that we've confirmed I'm using DogPark SDR (highest praise to developer Don)... Still wonder why what appears to be the band filter effectively removes some of the noise level? With the noise absent, I see essentially a flat (within the expected characteristics of my antenna) noise level over the same spectrum.  

Unless the noise itself is lower around the ham band, it's odd...

• Mike Aust
    Mike Aust Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Besides the Passband Filter I suspect a different algorithm is in place for the 
    in-band ham band passband is taken into place & consideration (sampling versus BW, etc )
    Only the guys at Flex would know !
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    That looks like Broadband over Power Line (BPL) with the ham band notched.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks, Gerald. Widening out the display, I can see other gaps, too. Not always aligned with the ham bands. Looks like I need to do some DF-ing. 
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Hi George,  Have you tried posting this to the RFI Reflector?  Many savvy people on there that may be able to help identify this.

http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/rfi

and lots of info in the Archives at: http://lists.contesting.com/_rfi/

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thank you, Larry.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.