Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Interesting image from the Pacific

Steve-N5AC
Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
While Elecraft is the official sponsor for the Palmyra Expedition (K5P), I thought I'd share a picture of some new equipment making a debut on the island.  A couple of these were able to stow-away on the plane out and are getting a real workout.  See if you can spot anything new in the picture.  Rumor has it that the participants are fighting over who gets to operate the Flex next!

Pictured is Glenn Johnson, W0GJ

Comments

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    This is a fantastic debut of the future of ham radio and Dxpeditions! 

Well done!

Mack
    W4AX
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Now I wonder which operator may have packed his Flex? :)

Lew
    N4CO
  • Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Wow, and a Maestro too!

Don't let those "knobbed" radio's beat us!  Way to go Steve.

• Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Now I do see something in the picture that I have NOT seen in operation before, anyone else see it? :)

Lew N4CO
  • Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I have to laugh, they have high tech radio's and low grade antenna's. I heard from a fellow ham on Saturday that they are only permitted to use vertical's They can't even use a dipole because the government feels that perhaps the wildlife might injure themselves on the dipole or a beam. Talk about having your hands tied in Ham Radio Politics!
  • Ben Morris
    Ben Morris Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    That is awesome! I see a time in the not too distant future that this will be the radio of choice for all the major dxpeditions!
  • Frank  WA3NHK
    Frank WA3NHK Member
    edited December 2018
    Maestro.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes!  That's either a black pancake or ice pack on the Op's head! :^))
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Frank, you found it. You and I will now MOVE to head of shipping "Q". :)

Lew N4CO
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Anyone know what the Flex is setting on, is that another pre production item also?

Lew N4CO
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Looks like an SPE Expert amp the flex is sitting on.

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Glen has been a very strong Flex booster and the last EIDXA meeting's program was a Flex presentation.  I'm not surprised he packed his 6700 along. There are three of us in the EIDXA that are Flex 6K users.  Glen and Al are both on the Alpha team.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    That's a Radiosport headset with the FlexRadio emblazoned bonnet ;-)  These are actually available in our online store: Radiosport products
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    so would you rather have no new DXCC or a DXCC using a vertical ? 

It's what they were dictated to use ... comply or don't get to run

I know what I prefer!

• Frank  WA3NHK
    Frank WA3NHK Member
    edited December 2016
    You first, after me.  :)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I was trying to decide whether it was a 6500 or a 6700.  Either way, still nice, even with only a vertical.  Nice that they get to break in a Maestro and RadioSport headset on the DXpedition, too.
    I would love to get my hands on an Expert 1.2K amp/tuner combo, but $$$!!!

BTW...I finally worked K5P on 17CW & 20CW on my lunch hour today!  Whoo Hoo!  Got the VP8 twice last night on 40 and 15 CW, ...finally!

Ken - NM9P 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Now I know why he is grinning from ear to ear.
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I have an SPE1K and its one of the best bits of kit I have bought. Worked a LOT of DX with it :) Congrats on VP8 - worked CFM'd here 1 QSO .. that's all I need ... a REALLLY hard path for us from ZL across the pole and there's a lot of Au at the moment!
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Good product placement... 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    But isn't that, for you, like Burt or me hitting Mathas Vineyard?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Only the 20CW K5P shows up on the web log so far.  but that is good enough, since it is ATNO!  
    None of the VP8's have shown up yet.  
    I hope they don't wind up being busted calls!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Im going on a Dxpedition to our kids house. Can I get my Maestro to try early as a tester. See if it survives the grandkids.
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    they only had 1 log update so far - I read their are far south of Inmarsat coverage and might be relying on Iridium satphone service - might be the reason why so slow updates. A local worked em and has a busted call but that looked like an Op mistype - hes ok :)

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Steve and I both worked that exact station setup on 15m CW a couple hours before the photo was taken of Glenn.  Craig, K9CT, was at the controls at that time we worked them.  Bagged him on the second call - Flex to Flex.  First CW DX I have worked since the '60s.  It might have hooked me to brush up on my CW.  I was practicing my CW call by voice on the way home from work:  da-di-da  di-di-di-di-dit  di-di-dit  dah-di-dit  di-dah-dit
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Get in line gentleman!!
    I can't believe those K5P "dxpeditioners" beat me to preorder.... ;-)
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Outstanding... wiping the drool off the table now...  
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    We have a winner
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Way to go, Gerald!  
    Yes, it would be nice to brush up so you can fully understand the full power of the excellent rig you and your team have created!  

It has made me a CW lover again, even though I still don't rag chew on code, it is a lot of fun DXing and Contesting with it!  

Ken - NM9P
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    yeah like 6000km away .. backyard!

my point was .. vertical and DXCC or not complying :)

Same for Navassa ...

I'll try work someone on a bit of wet string if it was a new one :)

• Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Gerald I have used the Flex 6500 over the past months chasing DX and it's the dogs doodahs!   CW pileups - superb filters, RTTY .. brilliant filters again ... SSB piles ..amazing ... large sized panadapter  - sold, sold and sold again!  Monitor multiple bands, see where the DX is working, find the pattern, hole,   and time again the Flex pulls it off!

It is "THE" DX machine of choice now ...

I love CW and the Flex made me love it every time I get into the pile :)

Congrats on the F2F QSO :)

Maestro will be a killer ..... my tactical advantage might be waning once people realise ...   Best make the most now while we can :)

Thank the team for this :)

Please find some time to enjoy your brilliant work too team ;)

73 Simon ZL4PLM 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.