Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Intel Vs AMD , is one better with Flex Dax drivers

Ed Stallman
Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
With Black Friday approaching , I'm keeping an eye on the Ad's for a new computer . My question to the guys in the know , Is their any advantage using Intel Vs AMD ? I'm only entrusted if one is better then the other with the Flex Dax drivers . 

Answers

• B Moran
    B Moran Member
    edited November 2019
    I am using a new AMD 3900x based system; it's very much overkill for this, but SmartSDR seems to work fine. I also use SmartDSR on an older Intel i5 laptop. It also seems to work fine.
    -Brian N9ADG

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I gave up on AMD processors after the 2nd machine I had with one in it developed problems that could not be corrected.  And one was due to AMD and HP fighting over why a Microsoft Windows update would not work on that system, and no winner, ever.  Someone else took that computer, loaded Linux on it and never looked back.  But for me, I'll stick with Intel.  There is probably someone with a similar story and the opposite solution, so, good luck!
  • Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Brian , tnx reply , I like working weak signal DX and I fine that a good clean waterfall , being it the Flex WF or on CwSkimmer WF  ... The weaker traces show better . This may have more to do with the Graphic Card ? 
    Tnx Ed N5DG 
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I’m using an Intel i7 8700 and it works great.  No issues at all.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Running one Intel and one AMD for SSDR, both works without any issus. But many would say one should stay with Intel because they are the main player. Can't argue against it, while my new PC's are Intel only. I'd say based on my experience that SSD disks are important (more or less standard in todays new PC's) and that graphic card performance are worth spending your money on.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.