Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Integrating DX Cluster Spots with SmartSDR v2 (demo)

2»

Comments

• John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Re: waiting for 1.11 vs buying 2.0 - I faced the same decision and decided on 2.0 now.  My logic is that if I thought I was eventually going to buy 2.0, I might as well buy it now as waiting means I'd just have less time to get my money's worth before 3.0 is released!   It's clear 2.0 is the best/cleanest all-around version of SmartSDR yet, and the focus now is on 2.1, 2.2, etc. so why be left out of the fun?
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited August 2017
    Glad that decision has worked out for you John. In Europe we get stung with a 20% "value added" tax - on balance, given that the random crash issue and other problems don't appear to have been solved for some existing sufferers in 2.0, and some users have had install issues, I prefer to wait a while longer before upgrading. I did a full uninstall and install of 1.10.16 some weeks back after yet another dax issue occurring, and so far my 6300 has behaved itself, so I am reluctant to change anything much at present until I see how long I can go without the random crash issue occurring. Call me over cautious but as a regular contester if something works I tend to leave it alone until there is a real pressing advantage to upgrade hardware or software. Same reason I haven't yet ordered a 6600 - I will let others do the live testing on the early units of the radio and the new amp. I have some antenna work to do over the next couple of months whilst I wait to hear how others get on with the early radio and amp units. We have our main HF convention here in the uk in early October so I hope frs will have got one of the pre production units of both the 6600m and the new amp over to the main uk dealer ready for that - so we can have a hands on play at the convention and try 2.0 out in the flesh with some remoting etc.
    73 Steve gw0gei / gw9j
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Steve - Completely get it why you are waiting to upgrade. Makes perfect sense.  If the UK dealer is able to arrange it for the show, I think you will enjoy seeing the new rigs and amp.  I enjoyed the Flex booth at Dayton and am now in line for a 6600. 
    John
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    " In Europe we get stung with a 20% "value added" tax - "

Yep, you do. We also pay state sales tax here. But this is also beyond the control of Flex radio. There is also nothing such as tax free shopping in the USA either. If it isn't collected at the point of purchase, the tax is due with your state income tax return. In fact, states have sued Amazon and credit card companies to get customers' data to collect the tax. So you can understand what Flex will be dealing with. Imagine the EU or your country's Government deciding to tell Flex they can't do business until they hand over customer data and/or ask for the taxes with penalties and interest. Not a pretty scenario. It's why they have no choice but to collect the tax, and as has been said - it costs them money to collect the tax so they are making out worse than if they sell to a US customer.

Ria

• Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Yes we have to pay it on domestic purchases too so no escape. I plan to buy a 6600 which will come with 2.0 and have no immediate need to upgrade my 6300. Instead the £250 paid for 25% of a new ic7300 - which gets me back on 4m and gives me a non crashing radio that now has a large spectrum window and waterfall in N1mm for contesting. My 6300 is still in daily use on lf and hf but will only be upgraded when I need my second flex to have whatever future facilities 2.xx comes up with. In the meantime I am playing with the new Lin amp uk Gemini 1.2kw solid state pa on 2m which is already proving to be a worthwhile purchase whilst the hf bands are in poor shape

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.