Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Install SSDR without DAX

Robert -- N5IKD
Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
edited March 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
How do I install SSDR without DAX?

At my remote sites I do not need or want the DAX overhead, so I want to install SSDR without the DAX drivers. During the installation process the DAX option is grayed out and checked.

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    At one time the DAX was a separate installation but, now, it seems it's imbedded with the installation software and there would be no way of inhibiting the installation without the actual installation code changing. You raise an excellent point as I try to avoid the DAX like the plague.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Robert,

You can stop DAX from automatically starting on boot up.  Go to the Startup folder in the Start menu & delete the shortcut to the DAX drivers.  They will still be sitting on your hard drive, but they will not be loaded.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We do not allow you to deselect the standard options installed with SmartSDR.  If you want to uninstall DAX, you can do so manually.

Before starting, close the DAX control panel and any programs that could use a DAX channel.

1.) Remove the DAX shortcut from the All Programs -> Start Up folder
    2.) Navigate to the Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmatSDR v1.a.bxx-bit DriversIQ_DAX and run as administrator the batch file SmartSDR_IQ_DAX_Uninstall.bat
    3.) Navigate to the Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmatSDR v1.a.bxx-bit DriversRXAudio_DAX and run as administrator the batch file SmartSDR_RXAudio_DAX_Uninstall.bat
    4.) Navigate to the Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmatSDR v1.a.bxx-bit DriversTXAudio_DAX and run as administrator the batch file SmartSDR_TX_DAX_Uninstall.bat
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015

Excellent!!! I like the idea of keeping everything. For those not familiar with the startup folder, type "msconfig" and the start up folder will appear  and one can uncheck the DAX.

Jim

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Ray - the DAX sound devices will still be loaded on your PC if you just delete the DAX control panel shortcut.  If you want to remove the drivers, use my procedure below.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Tim,

I understand that they would still be installed, but would they still be loaded into memory & running?

73, Ray, K9DUR

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Yes.  Without the DAX Control Panel, there isn't an application that connects to the reserved Windows Sound Devices (DAX reserved), but the kernel mode sound device drivers are still installed and initialized - just waiting for the DAX Control Panel to be started so they can connect to it.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Tim,

Got it.  Thanks.

73, Ray, K9DUR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.