Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Innovative Use for a Maestro

Philip KA4KOE
Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in New Ideas
In addition to my interest in Flex products, I also am an avid AM'er. I recently came across a Bauer 707 in excellent condition. The restoration is coming along nicely and I will soon put the transmitter on 80m. In the video, I am running 200W carrier into a dummy load. However, there is more than enough signal to be picked up by my home station. The Flex 6300 is located in my shack directly above the big Bauer. In my final checkout test prior to doing the conversion, I located the Maestro downstairs in my garage to check out the transmitted audio. There are a couple of artifacts above and below the carrier, which appear to be a product of the Panasonic laptop soundcard. See the linked video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya4VdNhPZXI

Enjoy.

Philip KA4KOE

Comments

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The Maestro is the perfect companion to trace spurious RF and noise generation in your house, yard neighborhood. Got a dimmer issue bring your Maestro with you and prove it. Not sure which wall wart or TV is dumping garbage into your lower band spectrum, have your Maestro beside you as you unplug suspected source of interference and while you test cures.
    WAIT !   ORDER IN THE NEXT 12 MINUTES !
    If you act now you will get a second Maestro, just add the cost of shipping and handling.

ok, got carried away again, and just in case someone takes it seriously or as a promise , I was joking, no free 2nd Maestro.
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Can I get a set of Ginzu knives with that offer??
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Interesting waterfall pattern, but felt the immediately need to mute that audio! :)
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I was trying to please my bride, K4SMN. She is a fan of opera.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Philip, I noticed on the Maestro the carrier peak was reading ~zero dBm (+) or thereabouts, that high of signal can cause the 6000 series radios to overload.  Try reducing the coupling to the radio and see if those artifacts go away.... If you already checked that disregard my post.
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Maybe that's why I was seeing spikes above and below the Bauer carrier.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    You are incorrect.  None of the 6000s will overload at 0 dBm.  We have had almost no reports of the radios actually overloading from strong signals unless the RX antenna is in the near field of the transmitting antenna. 

It is very difficult to overload a FLEX-6000
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/adc-overload-myths-debunked

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Sorry Tim, I didn't word that right, The display was showing "0" dBm at the top and the carrier was all the way to the top of the display so it could have been way over, how could you tell.  I was just asking Philip to check.  Didn't mean to get you going....
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    OK.  Thanks for the clearification.  It's a full-time job keeping information factual.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.