Incorrect Sideband

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I'm running SSDR 1.6.21.77 (Flex6300/Win7 Enterprise 6.1.7601 SP1, Build 7601/8G RAM/AMD AthlonII X4 620 processor), and have been for a few days.

Yesterday, I was running a SO2R_TX2 profile and had two panadapters with Slice A on 14.070 (DIGU) and Slice B on 7.260 LSB. As I was preparing for a net I noted that my audio was wonky (technical term) and looked to see if I'd bumped my FlexControl to discover that what was being displayed on Slice B was USB. After much button pushing, colorful language, and other kerfuffle, the only way to resolve this was to completely close SSDR and re-open.

Has anyone else experience this behavior?

Thanks,

Gary, WB5ULK
Photo of Gary - WB5ULK

Gary - WB5ULK

  • 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

  • 1272 Posts
  • 655 Reply Likes

Curious if the provision to switch between LSB/USB/Modes was inoperative? 

73

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Gary - WB5ULK

Gary - WB5ULK

  • 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The "flag" and "sidebar" info about the slice both said "LSB", Steve. However, in the panadapter and audio, it was definitely USB.

A puzzler from my viewpoint. 
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

  • 451 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
I selected a [many times used] profile that had 4 slices saved as DIGU and when activated the mode for two slices was USB. My reaction was the same as yours as I tried to figure out why JT-65 would not develop any output.
This only happened once in many many activations of this profile. 99% of the time my profiles work perfectly.
Photo of Gary - WB5ULK

Gary - WB5ULK

  • 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Bill, 

It didn't happen in any of the previous versions, but I have had more time in recent days to be on-the-air, so I may have just switched frequencies/bands enough times that it finally threw-up on itself from confusion. Closing SSDR completely and reopening cured it so far.
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

  • 1752 Posts
  • 534 Reply Likes
It happened today to me in 40m. I closed the slice and reopened it and that fixed it.
Before closing the slice I couldn't switch it to LSB from USB. Not sure why it started as USB in the first place.
Photo of Gary - WB5ULK

Gary - WB5ULK

  • 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here we are many months and several versions later and this still happens. 

If I'm running a "digi" session (PSK in my case; runs as USB*) and want to go to voice on either 40 or 80, it does not matter how many times I click on LSB, it is still USB. To get LSB to work, I close the receiver in that slice and re-open it, and, VOILA! I'm now on-frequency with the correct sideband. I've done this so often it's just muscle memory now.

But it should just work correctly.

Gary
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

  • 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
U should be using DIGU or DIGL for digital. NOT SSB USB OR LSB
Photo of Gary - WB5ULK

Gary - WB5ULK

  • 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Howard,

I was. I was unclear in my previous post, but I always use DIGI-U for PSK. From there to LSB is a button-pushing odyssey to get out of it.

Gary
Photo of Gary - WB5ULK

Gary - WB5ULK

  • 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Howard,

I was. I was unclear in my previous post, but I always use DIGI-U for PSK. From there to LSB is a button-pushing odyssey to get out of it.

Gary
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

  • 9148 Posts
  • 3466 Reply Likes
I suspect that at some time you or a third-party app switched to USB and it has been saved in band persistence.

What I'd do is do a full export of your profiles.  The do a factory reset of the radio.  Start up SmartSDR but test for the proper behavior before importing your profile data.  If it works properly, then import your profiles, making certain you unselect the preferences options so you do not re-write the incorrect band persistence data  back to the radio.
Photo of Gary - WB5ULK

Gary - WB5ULK

  • 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It would've been likely much simpler, Tim.

I exported everything and imported everything, and as expected, it was all the same. I "removed" the Memories I had for the LSB entries on 80 and 40 and "added" them after they were properly configured in the slices, and they work just fine now. 

Why I did NOT think to do that earlier is a mystery buried somewhere deep in my knucklehead.

Today, I re-enact my lead role as "Lid Extraordinaire".

Thank you, Thank you. I'll be here all week. Try the veal and don't forget to tip your waiter...
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

  • 9148 Posts
  • 3466 Reply Likes
Are you doing 2 matinees on Saturday?

Seriously, I am glad you were able to find a solution.  All's well that ends well.
Photo of Gary - WB5ULK

Gary - WB5ULK

  • 17 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I guess I just got accustomed to do it manually and just didn't consider removing a "memory" entry which appeared okay and saving it fresh.

Lesson learned. Dislike those "bits" which are unseen...
Photo of Kevin K4VD, Elroy

Kevin K4VD, Elroy

  • 775 Posts
  • 171 Reply Likes
Glad I found this thread. I was on 20 meters running around with some CW and RTTY and decided to work some SSB. Very rare for me to use voice so I'm always questioning myself. This time... the filter showed to the right of the yellow line as usual for USB but when I started talking, the spectrum was showing to the left of the yellow line. As suggested above by Salvador, I closed the slice and re-opened it and all was back to normal.

Really had me questioning reality, and for me, that's not a good thing.



73,
Kev K4VD