Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Implementing WoL

Options
Rob Fissel
Rob Fissel Member
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Now that we're using our radios throughout our LAN's (and in some cases, WAN's via VPN), is there any chance of implementing Wake-on-LAN? 

I'm thinking that I could leave the power supply on, but shut the radio off, and then turn it on using WoL. I know that you can use a remote controlled relay to do this already, but this may provide an easier, more elegant software based solution. I'd be great to not have to leave the radio on all the time, and only power it up when I plan to remote in. 

Thanks for entertaining the idea, no matter how silly it may be!

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

My guess is if is was doable, it would have long since been accomplished. I think it is a hardware issue to power the radio on and off, and it needs a direct connection and is not implementable through software. If it were (was?) I think it would have been one of the features incorporated at the onset of remote power-on.

Jim, K6QE

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    You might want to look at the thread I started 5 months ago.   https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/shut-down-via-ip

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

I read it and I hope I am wrong. Also, there are various degrees of turning off the radio. How much of the radio should be left in the "on" state to satisfy the WOL? On requirement would certainly be to make sure the fan is turned off to avoid wear and tear on it. It will be interesting to follow the evolution and how all of our personal conjecturers bear out.

Jim

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    WOL is really dependent on the hardware and how it is energized.  If it loses power when the power switch is turned off, WOL will not work.  It would have to have been thought out when the hardware was designed and the correct components (WOL Enabled Ethernet card) wired to the power source in the appropriate power chain.
    A WOL Ethernet port needs to be energized at all times, even when the rest of the unit is turned off.

This is not just a software solution.  I have never heard if the hardware is designed to take advantage of WOL.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

WoL is a wonderful feature. I have been using it on my Dell computer for a couple of years as it is almost a necessity when using a host computer with a remoted radio. It would be a very desireable feature on the 6000 series as no host computer will be needed. However, with all the other "toys" available to over come this obstacle, I find it a non-issue at this point. It has forced me to learn about other I/P units available for remote use. As it stands now, I use a remoted relay to turn on/off the radio, and, then, another remote device to completely remove power from the 6000.

Jim

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I do exactly the same as Jim... i use a WEMO relay to turn on my 6700 and a second WEMO to control power to the Computer... Gives me the ability to reboot everything remotely which turned out to be absolutely necessary when operating remote...

If they implement WOL, then I would also need a WOL enable CPU
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Howard,

My power control unit also has a telephone interface. I would like to see Flex put in a Time-out-timer for the transmit mode. There is always the possibility of an internet failure and it would be good for the transmitter to auto-time out after, say, 10 minutes of continuous transmission. This would put the remoted radio in accordance with FCC regulations regarding remote operation.

Jim

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Options
    "I would like to see Flex put in a Time-out-timer for the transmit mode."

There has been this capability for several SmartSDR releases.  It is in the Settings->Radio Setup->Transmit tab.
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sorry I missed this, Jay. I figured it was a longshot due to it's reliance on hardware, but figured it may be worth asking!
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Found it, thank you, Tim. Tried it and it works great.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    My guess is that the required connections in the Ethernet card to the power circuits in the radio do not exist. I would have preferred to use WOL, but without that there are a number of options using other Ethernet connected controllers to switch the remote input.

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Actually WOL shouldn't even be in issue in a LAN environment. It is wake on WAN that should be the concern. And, of course, these issues have been discussed with third party hardware.

Jim

• Robert -- N5IKD
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I already do WOL over WAN via an Arduino controller with an Ethernet shield. I can easily toggle an IO pin from the same menu in the Arduino.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So a separate, internet controllable relay would be the way to go?
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.