Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

IMD Testing Flex 6400

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
Is it possible to do IMD two tone test using an audio file and DAX? I am looking to do this with a 2m transverter and a spectrum analyzer at several RF power levels

Answers

• Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yes, I have used Audacity (a free Windows application) to generate a two-tone signal and send it to SmartSDR via DAX. Works well.
    Doug K4DSP

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I use my Rohde&Schwarz HF signal generator and my spectrum analyzer using the methods mentioned here: www.ab4oj.com/sdr/flex/6700notes.pdf
    The test results for my Flex 6500 are very similar.

Testing a VLF converter for SAQ Alexanderson (example)

• Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Alex, I believe you are talking about two-tone IMD3 dynamic range testing of the receiver. I believe Ed is referring to TX IMD testing which requires an audio signal generator, not an RF signal generator.

If I am wrong, please let me know.
    Doug K4DSP

P.S. The R&S test equipment is very nice. I did some work for R&S in Munich back in the 1990s. Bavaria is a lovely place.

• Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I lived by Ostbahnhof in Munich for eight years starting in the late 90s.  I always wondered what it was like to work at R&S, which is walking distance from there.

• Ed Johnson
    Ed Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Doug,
    Yes, I am talking about two tone Tx test for transmit IMD.
    Thanks
    Ed W2PH
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thank you for clarifying, that it's a transmit IMD test.  Good idea to use Audacity to try this. I've always used NF tone generators and will try an audio file now :-)
    73, Alex - DH2ID 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.