IMD Testing Flex 6400

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Is it possible to do IMD two tone test using an audio file and DAX? I am looking to do this with a 2m transverter and a spectrum analyzer at several RF power levels
Photo of Ed Johnson

Ed Johnson

• 65 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Doug Hall

Doug Hall

• 206 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
Yes, I have used Audacity (a free Windows application) to generate a two-tone signal and send it to SmartSDR via DAX. Works well.
Doug K4DSP

Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
I use my Rohde&Schwarz HF signal generator and my spectrum analyzer using the methods mentioned here: www.ab4oj.com/sdr/flex/6700notes.pdf
The test results for my Flex 6500 are very similar.

Testing a VLF converter for SAQ Alexanderson (example)

(Edited)
Photo of Doug Hall

Doug Hall

• 206 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
Alex, I believe you are talking about two-tone IMD3 dynamic range testing of the receiver. I believe Ed is referring to TX IMD testing which requires an audio signal generator, not an RF signal generator.

If I am wrong, please let me know.
Doug K4DSP

P.S. The R&S test equipment is very nice. I did some work for R&S in Munich back in the 1990s. Bavaria is a lovely place.
Photo of Richard McClelland, AA5S

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 295 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I lived by Ostbahnhof in Munich for eight years starting in the late 90s.  I always wondered what it was like to work at R&S, which is walking distance from there.
Photo of Ed Johnson

Ed Johnson

• 65 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Doug,
Yes, I am talking about two tone Tx test for transmit IMD.
Thanks
Ed W2PH
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 956 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Thank you for clarifying, that it's a transmit IMD test.  Good idea to use Audacity to try this. I've always used NF tone generators and will try an audio file now :-)
73, Alex - DH2ID