Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I'm wanting to buy a external gpsdo for my flex 6400. If you have purchased one will you please se

James Skala
James Skala Member
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm wanting to buy a external gpsdo for my flex 6400. If you have purchased one will you please send me the link and reviews.

Answers

• Randy Harris
    Randy Harris Member
    edited December 2018
     I am using a Trimble Thunderbolt GPSDO with my 6500. These are widely available as surplus from Cellular providers and on E-bay. It works great and is rock solid. I have one of the 10 MhZ out ports connected to a calibrated Fluke Counter and it measures a solid 10.0000000 with an occasional drift to 10.0000001 Mhz for about 0.5 seconds. I run my GPSDO continuously rarely ever turning it off. 

Randy Harris W4HCR
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    A lot of flex users are using this one including me, this thing never drops its connections to satellites and the gps antenna doesn't even have a view of the sky.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Receiver-GPSDO-10MHz-1PPS-GPS-Disciplined-Clock-w-Antenna-Power-Supply-...
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I also have this one, plus a 10 MHz distribution amplifier, bought from the same seller. Comes with a 25 ft antenna cable, enough for me to get it out of the basement. Has a 10 MHz output used to drive the distribution amp, plus 1 PPS and RS232 output which will eventually control the ntp daemon in a Linux PC. I should add that it is powered by my shack supply.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Using the same.  Rock solid.  Just wish the coax to the antenna was a little longer but it does work just fine.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Also using the same GPSDO as Larry.  It's worked flawlessly for over a year and a half now! 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    How does it connect to the Flex 6600?

Thanks and 73,
    Gary
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I did this for another project but am now using it with my 6600M. I thought I "might" need to tap into it for a "few" other uses hence the distribution amplifier. It worked great spread across the workbench. Now it is packaged and in the rack. It's been powered up and working over 6 months now.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Gary w8vi, The 6600 has a 10 MHz input on the back for a GPSDO.
  • Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks Ted,

I am operating remote right now but from the picture diagram on the Flex site I see the gold GPS ANT and 10 MHz OUT connectors. 

I guess I would use the 10 MHZ Out - correct?

Gary
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Its the 10 Mhz in
    RCA jack in the picture.

• Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks Larry for the picture and the correct location.  I was unable to see it clearly from my smart phone screen.

I will also be ordering a GPSDO.

73 and all have a prosperous 2019.
    Gary
    W8VI
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    If someone could point me to a good article that would explain why I would want an external GPS, I would be very grateful. Thanks and Happy New Year. 73 Bob WK2Y
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Can't really point you to an article, but if you use transverters, the higher the ultimate frequency, the more important the LO accuracy. And if you are doing satellite, you can ensure you are on frequency if providing an accurate common clock. I'm sure those who use transverters regularly can add a lot more.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks. Not into that yet but who knows. 73 Bob
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    Scott Russell - N1SER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    For anyone reading this post and is not familiar with the back of the 6400/6600, the two SMA GPS Antenna and 10MHz Out jacks are not included with the radio if you do not get the Flex GPSDO installed. They are just blank plugs and do not come with the radio. I found this odd when researching the radio before actually getting one that the photo associated with the "Non" GPSDO option standard 64/6600 is misleading. Just FYI.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.