Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I'm A Bit Disappointed in V2.0

Comments

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The port problems have been and will continue to be a problem in Windows. Let's put on our big-boy or big-girl pants (your preference) and work around it like tech savvy folks we claim to be. 

In a previous post Tim has ID the culprit to 3RD party portion of VSP that is now fixed. The interested stugent can search for the aforementioned post whereas the appliance op can continue beating the bushes.
  • James Whiteway
    edited July 2017
    Ken, you've been reading my mind! I've been thinking on how to do just what you described for a while. I think a TS-520 interface or even a Collins radios' interface would look neat on a tablet. The guy that started the Android app used some elements that automated knobs and switches in his app. I wrote to him and he gave me a link to a website that explains how to do that using Photoshop.
    I drive a truck for a living. But, enjoy programming as a hobby. But, lately, I have not had much of a chance to write any code. But, I do plan to try exactly what you are talking about. I have a couple of Android based tablets that would be fun to get going like that.
     Imagine, being able to choose a classic radio interface from a drop down menu and remotely connecting to your Flex. That would be fun!
    james
    WD5GWY

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I men really, this i like Christmas! I'm pretty stoked to see what version 2 has to offer.

It's also a littlle sad that people who have never used it yet are pre-disappointed. 
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Excellent Tim, thanks!
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I must say, I find the idea that meeting some arbitrary schedule is the most important thing, and that working isn't of much consequence is stunning to me. 

I'd love to hear the rationale for putting out a product with known issues. 

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Why haven't you disposed of a radio and avoided a company that you obviously hate with a passion, Steve? 

Life is too short to use products that stress you out. If you get something else that fits your needs in a way that Flex obviously doesn't, you'll be much happier.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

Norm-W7CK %1000

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Steve you missed the mark,,again,,you must know they are not charging for the VSP fix. It is just a maintenance update. Just so you know. And if you don't buy V.2 it would be fixed in the up coming 1.11 for general users.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for a specific, actionable list that can be discussed reasonably. I'm still growing into my 6300, it's the perfect radio for my operating style and I'm excited that if/when I step up to a Flex 6400 it will be better AND cheaper than my current 6300.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I don't see "a large groundswell" of unhappy users. I see a few very loud, repeatedly complaining ones.  The booth at Dayton had a lot of interest. The two events at Dayton were very well attended. I really didn't see other radio mfgs get so much traffic, not even Icom with its 7610. In fact the first thing people told me about that radio when they saw it is that they can't believe you need to buy the knob accessory to tune the 2nd vfo without digging in menus (Maestro and M series has this as standard). 

I know for a fact that remote was high at the top of everyone's list - because I set it up for them before smartlink was announced.  The same day I put the script up, my mailbox was inundated. 

I also find it hard to believe that most people will sell their radios because they can't change the color scheme or get DX spots in the panadapter (something no other radio mfg I know of offers either, except maybe Anan with open source PowerSDR).

I have no idea what features are so important for loud complaints every few threads from the same 4 or 5 people. Maybe someone can enlighten me? I DX, I contest, I ragchew, I do digital modes. I operate locally and remote. No idea WHAT I can't do. 

Besides, this is 2.0. A .0 product is the very beginning. You don't have to buy now, you can always buy later when the feature set is to your liking.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    There's a third party DAX solution available, FYI. You might want to look into it. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Maestro is a classic case of "you can't please everyone." A lot of people were skeptical of flex because it didn't have knobs (FlexControl is nice but it's not a "real radio" with knobs). So they went out and developed the Maestro. It's also a tool for contesters to keep SmartSDR OFF the main screen and onto a small screen that is out of the way. I have a Maestro but I don't use it much, except for contesting where I can keep N1MM+ on the main screen. Talk to contesters, they will tell you that focus is their biggest weapon. Once you're focused and not distracted you make rate. 
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    "Focus" in contesting is windows focus (active window), not human focus. That is, you don't want any other window to grab the focus (i.e., to become the active window) and you end up typing in something else but N1MM. A simple example is the ability to use RIT while typing on the keyboard. Or switch filter bandwidth. Or any other SSDR control while using N1MM (or any other logger).
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Ria - What is it? I must have missed its discussion...
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    thats for macos, how about something for win10. I pointed out the macos dax ref in my orig comment.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I use the regular DAX. Seems to work fine. I've been on FT8 all weekend on 6.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I also understand Paul's and others wholly justified frustration and identify with it. But I'm going to keep watching. There's gotta be a pony in there somewhere...
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I remember, a while ago from some of the complainers here that said the Maestro would never work over Lan.  And some were saying Flex would never get WAN to work. Be careful what we post.
  • Kevin N9JKP
    Kevin N9JKP Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Great summary of all good things.  

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Sorry to bust your bubble but it is not really a first.  Remote software solutions have been around for a couple years.  Maybe there are some parts of how SmartLink is operating that are new or different but it surely is not a "first in the industry" unless you consider the Flex Radio a industry.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Without a PC on one or both ends? Seems a first to me!
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The high end Icoms have had built-in remote access servers- no computer on the remote end- for years:

http://icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/rsba1/default.aspx

The 7610 will have a built-in server as well.
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Remote operation is old news..... done that long ago.

Just a friggin SQUELCH!

If you don't want squelch don't use it, It wont hurt you, it wont void your warranty if you don't use it, it wont do anything if you don't use it...... just don't use it.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    If it uses that horrible RS-BA1 software it's no flex. I'll keep my Smartlink TYVM. :)
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    RS-BA1 software was amazing. Much better than Smartlink. LOL, sorry Ria, could not resist. I think I still have a a copy around here. Was a big let down. 

Rich
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Tim, it is true that Flex isn't "first first." Remoterig has been around for a while and it needs no computer. I believe even one of the ten tec rigs had remote built in. With the Elecraft K3 and the K3/0 or even another K3 you can do remote without a radio using the remoterig boxes.

However, it still requires port forwarding and such. 

Flex is the first, hands down, to avoid all of that and have basically a plug and play solution. They also bring modern features such as social login, 2 factor auth and a native smartphone app. Which other radio manufacturer has that? 
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Using UPnP  to open ports is hardly innovation. Look at iMessage, Skype, TeamViewer, and zillions of other P2P apps that require zero network configuration.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I agree, Bill. Elsewhere the flex haters are endless.  I can't really understand what they're upset about. However I have seen people saying that "the era of $3000 and $6000 radios is over" because of the IC7300. How come? Just because Ford made a model T, it doesn't mean that there can't be high end cars. The IC7300 is the model T of the SDR world.  Low priced, great value, mass produced and plain jane for the masses. I still recommend that rig to people who set a budget below $1500. They wouldn't buy a $3000 flex. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Rudy, all of that falls under the distraction factor. It was a learning curve for me to do a full contest with SmartSDR, even though I have the Flexcontrol. Time wasted means my rate drops, rate drops means someone is getting ahead of me. No good. I did do WW CW 2016 with a borrowed Maestro, now I have my own. I'll definitely be using it this upcoming season.
This discussion has been closed.