Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

If you had the option of a 6400 with Medesto or a 6400M. Which would you buy and why.

KB4OIF
KB4OIF Member ✭✭
6400 M or a 6400 w/meadesto.  which would you buy and why.

Answers

• Gordon, ve7on
    Gordon, ve7on Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I chose the M model because it gives you an HDMI output that I use all the time.

Other than that they are operationally the same.

Gordon, ve7on

• Wayne Schonfeld
    Wayne Schonfeld Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I buy the Maestro because then you can use it at the radio or remotely.  I do this.  I prefer the PC interface more than the Maestro.  The M model does not give you the remote option with that Maestro
  • VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have both. Like a real radio on the desk and remote. Get the "M" you can still use a laptop.
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I used to have a Maestro but found I preferred using Smart SDR on the pc with a large screen. No need to pay for something that I didn't use.

Also, having a Maestro doesn't absolutely guarantee you can use it remotely.  My home internet provider is AT&T Cellular and from what I understand, due to the nature of the way AT&T configures their signal, it's not possible for me to connect to the radio outside my home network.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I would buy the separate units. The Maestro can be used off site to control the radio. The 6400M is not capable of that, unless you take the whole radio with you. The 'M' model was designed for the people who like knobs. In this day and age knobs and tubes are for those who live in the past. I'm 78 years young.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Not true, I did ti for years.
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have the Flex 6400 and Maestro.  The versatility is terrific.  I can go on vacation and still connect with my Xcvr.
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    How did you connect Smartlink to an AT&T cellular signal?
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    So can I, with my iPhone and my iPad.  Easy to sign in to new wifi nets and easy to work FT8.  In addition, I prefer the M model and Maestro screen display to the SDR display at home, and I like mirroring my M Model to a 27 inch screen via the HDMI port. 
  • Dennis Cody
    Dennis Cody Member
    edited November 2019
    I bought the 6400 and Maestro.  Sit in my easy chair or go on the road and take my HF station with me.   Mater of choice on what you want to do.... To me its like having two radios not two computers.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Separate Meastro.  It gives you the ability to put the radio where you want, like maybe in a shed or closet.

You can still run your radio using SSDR from anywhere on your LAN or with SmartLink on the WAN.  And you can take your Maestro out to the deck on a sunny day and operate there.

If there is a problem with your Maestro (more moving parts), you send it back your radio stays put and is used via SSDR or iOS client.

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Here's a little different spin, I really like using my 6600 with separate Maestro but the big advantage now is using the Maestro in SmartControl mode. Love version 3 for this reason alone. Clay N9IO
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hands down... a 6400 or 6600 and a Maestro. I have a 6600M and VERY seldom ever use anything but my computer to operate the radio. I can count on one hand the number of times I have operated from the front panel. HOWEVER... when I travel, which is a lot... I would love to have a Maestro, especially for CW work. If I had it to do over again I would buy a 6600 AND a Maestro. I may still buy a Maestro.

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.  Still thinking about it.  I am thinking of trading in a Kenwood 590S that has been in it's box for a while.  I don't travel much because of my back and trouble walking.  I have a 6600M that is my main radio and I love it.  I keep exploring ways to use it.  The 6400 would be my back up radio.  I have a friend that is also looking to get a 6400 or and M model.  Even thought  of a maestro only and remoting to my 6600M  from the living room???

KB4OIF

John
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I had a 6600m for a while and ended up with a non M 6600 model.  I personally would rather have the Maestro even though I have never touched one.  In my shack layout I found the"M" knob layout cumbersome and think the Maestro would be easier to operate if you could move it around and since it tilts. There is no doubt the M radio has some compromises because it was created by adapting the working Maestro to it. It absolutely did keep the cost down so no complaints there. As mentioned above you get the benefit of HDMI out. But even with a 49" TV above my shack desk, I found I never used it. Snap out panels on SSDR just worked better for me.

• Mike KB0FX
    Mike KB0FX Member
    edited November 2019
    Rick. Is your home Internet AT&T U-Verse? What is the model number of your AT&T Residential Gateway? I am using the DMZPlus feature to allow me to connect a second router behind the AT&T router. However, there is a issue with the most recent firmware in the Pace 5628AC that breaks IP Pass Through. I had to downgrade my firmware to get IP Pass Through (DMZPlus) to work correctly. I am able to connect to my 6400M using my Maestro and a WiFi connection to my Sprint iPhone Hotspot.  
  • Rick Clark
    Rick Clark Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have ATT  cellular wifi and they do not allow port forwarding.  Will that stop remote operation  with the maestro and a 6400 ?
    KC3DR, Rick
  • Lee, N2LC
    Lee, N2LC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I would recommend getting the M model.  I had a Maestro and my wife stole it and has it in Her TV room.

YMMV.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    This seems like an interesting reason to have the M model.  LOL

Maybe his and hers Maestros is the answer?
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I didn't get an M model due to 1) the lack of Flexability, and 2) it would take up too much desk space, where my 6400 sits on a shelf under the desk out of the way.
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The impression I got from Flex is that the Maestro/6xxx buyers outnumber the 6xxM buyers.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    i bought a 6600M....

cause of dual SCU needed for diversity reception
    and
    i love an all in one radio...knobs and screen layout are fine for me...
    but
    this is all  depends on one's personnel taste and preferences...
    but
    it works for me just fine as i have operate knobs radios for over 50 years, so different configurations are something you learn to adjust for ...

as for any portable operation i have choices...ipads, iphone, laptop
    all of which i have used whether sitting on the couch watching TV with the wife (used the  ipad on FT8) 
    or
    walking the dog (used the iphone on ssb nets)
    or
    out on the deck on nice summer day working dx pileup (used the laptop on cw)

and

as for sitting in front of the radio...i use multiple mac minis to connect to it
    yep can connect more than one computer to it cause it is a radio 'server'
    and
    at this point i can just use the radio straight up
    or
    in combo with the computers
    or
    just with the computers

Guess that is why it is call a "FLEX"

with all of that, i didnt see any advantage in the Maestro.

Paul K3SF

• Don Stefanik
    Don Stefanik Member
    edited March 2020
    I would get a Maestro IF they had an HDMI port on it so i could also use it on a large monitor.
    Please...please...pretty please!!!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    This is probably not going to happen.  The Maestro is designed to be a mobile device unincumbered by connecting it to a monitor.  Also, the new SmartSDR v3 SmartControl feature that allows you to use the MAestro as a control surface in conjunction with SmartSDR for Windows, that can use as big a monitor as you can afford.
  • Don Stefanik
    Don Stefanik Member
    edited March 2020
    Ok.  That sounds interesting. I would like to trade my 6300 for a 6500 if possible. Then get the Maestro later.
  • Robert Guertin
    edited March 2020
    The M models are for the guys that can't give up the look & feel of knob radios.
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I wound up with an M model, FlexControl, and Maestro as a result of moving from a 6500 to a 6600M.  If I was starting from scratch today I'd go with a "non-M model" plus FlexControl to start, for the home shack.  It's a huge **** for the buck.

I bounce around between the different devices, but my "go to" configuration is SmartSDR for Windows on a 24 inch monitor with additional 24 inch monitors for logbook, WSJT-X, CAT, DAX, and with CW paddle connected directly to the radio - it is very spoiling.  

73 & GL!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.