Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

If we cannot upgrade to v2.0.17 (6000 series radios), will we be able to upgrade to future versions

Wheelin Rev
Wheelin Rev Member
edited June 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
Being disabled and terminally ill with a mound of bills, I cannot swing $250 (or even $100 as far as that goes) to purchase SmartSDR v2.0.17 and the corresponding iOS app although the two would definitely be nice for times when I am laid up in the hospital. Going forward however, I have a some questions and I doubt if I am alone with this thinking.

Let's say down the road v2.2.75 is released at little ($25) to no cost for the revision. Let's say it adds some minor functionality like being able to monitor the PA temperature and a few other internal parameters on the front panel display by using the front panel 4-way rocker switch. Would that version be able to be installed on the last free version before v2.0.17, i.e. v1.10.16, if NO OTHER COST VERSIONS are installed (such as v2.0.17)?

Let's also say that v3.0.73 and v3.3.88 are released along the way that have both a significant functionality addition and tweak some parameters that enhance noise reduction again like we have had in earlier no-cost releases. But this time v3.0.73 and v3.3.88 cost $100 apiece. I have been advised to NOT install v2.0.17 since I cannot afford the upgrade cost. Would I also be advised to NOT install these versions even though they had another tweak to the noise reduction functionality that was a no-cost upgrade before? I ask this in view of the way Ham Radio Deluxe issues their software upgrades.

In Ham Radio Deluxe, even though the 1-year maintenance fee is $50 that we pay when out of warranty for a software upgrade if we desire the features being added, we are told to ALWAYS install new software revisions even if we are not purchasing the maintenance extension. This is because tweaks and bug fixes may have been done in the code that will be implemented at no-cost regardless of whether or not one pays the $50 to extend the 1-year maintenance window. Note that if one does pay to extend the 1-year maintenance window, then the functionality of the software upgrade that was NOT no-cost becomes active. Essentially, one does not have to pay the $50 fee to extend the maintenance window unless they want unlimited technical support for the coming year and/or they wish to have new functionality of a software upgrade become active. This philosophy apparently works well for Ham Radio Deluxe, LLC.

Please try to be as specific as possible while looking into the future to answer my two concerns. As always, thank you greatly for your time and assistance.

73, Rev. David E. Hamm, K4EET

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    The upgrade process is really fairly straightforward.  It is based on major version releases.

Once you purchase the 2.x license for $199, you will receive all 2.x versions of software as free upgrades.

Once you purchase the 3.x license, you will receive all 3.x versions of software as free upgrades.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited August 2017
    Rev.  I would like to assist you as well.  Looks like you have someone offering to pay for your 2.x upgrade and your ios app.  How else can I assist?
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I will try to set up the Reverends upgrade tomorrow morning.
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited September 2017
    One person said to not thank them but at least I can say I pray they will be blessed 100-fold more than I have been blessed. God bless you all! 73, Dave K4EET
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited August 2017
    Rev. Did you get my Agape gift
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    What happens if a major version is skipped. If upgrading from 1.x to 3.x is the cost still $199.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I've placed a call to Matt to set this upgrade up but I have not heard back from him yet.  I'll post here when it is good to go and send you a private email as well Reverend.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Hello David, et al,

I was able to successfully pay for the update on the phone with Matt just now.  He has to manually enter it into the system but later today it should work for you.  Contact Matt if you have any issues.

For everyone I want to say that two people who chose to remain anonymous have chipped into help out in addition to the folks above who have offered to help out with iOS.

I just got an email from Matt saying the license should be active now.

I hope this works well for you David and the only obligation I place on you is with your new found 2.x abilities if you happen to hear me on the air you have to break in and give me a shout back.

Enjoy!  Mark - WS7M
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    "Contact Matt if you have any issues."

Actually, open a HelpDesk ticket if you have any issue.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Tim knows best!  :-)
  • Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited August 2017
    FYI everyone... I have the iPhone SmartSDR iOS app working 100% from home which will enable me to operate my HF radio from my hospital bed at home when I am laid up in it for extended periods of time. Wheeeeeee!!! Next will be to try to get it to work via my wireless carrier and then to test it from the hospital in about a month when I go there for another procedure. Life is good. Thanks to all that helped to make this a reality! Be blessed! 73, Dave K4EET

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.