Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

If I have two 6400's can I take a SCU from one and install in the other?

Options
James Skala
James Skala Member
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
If I have two 6400's can I take a SCU from one and install in the other?

Answers

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Now THAT is an interesting Question???? But would that NOT make one inoperative and become a paper weight? Or is their more behind your question James???

Robert

• James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I just got another working 6400 for 750.00 and thought I wonder if I could upgrade my 6400 to 2 SCU? I also would then have spare parts.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Would require a big rework of Flex hardware and code to support dual SCUs IMO. It would be cheaper and easier to trade in your 6400 and buy a 6600.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    What is the difference in hardware between a 6400 and 6600
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Tim must be napping lol
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    It's not that important just wondering. Now I have 2 6400. My mind was working overtime, what could I do next.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    this my guess only

for starters just off the top of my head

starting at the antenna, the antenna switch matrix and associated sub-controller
    would need to be replaced with one from 6600

the h/w and s/w in the radio server to recognize two scu data paths to process

maybe even the audio mixer would now have to be modified to handle four audio paths rather than just two....

if you want capability of 6600, then sell both 6400's and buy 6600
    and
    still have some cash leftover i would think for multiple antennas

BUT
    with Two 6400's you could create some interesting setups with multiflex

for example
    1. could be setup with four separate computers each running ssdr
    where each one is running a separate slice...

side note:  you can run multiple virtual pc's on one physical PC
           this would give you capability to run four ssdrs...
           each doing their own thing

2. one 6400 in shack and another 6400 at friends house maybe two thousand miles away for some interesting geospatial diversity (both receive and transmit)

just saying you have options
    you just need to figure out what you want to do and achieve

Paul K3SF

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Physically, I think you could move  the AD converter and band filters from one radio into the other. But it seems likely that the firmware knows what the configuration was when it left the factory and would not allow the second SCU to function.  And there may be other physical differences as well ( antenna selection, etc. )

AL, K0VM
  • Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I like how you think, James, but no, you cannot add an SCU to a 6400 and make a franken-6600-ish.

There is a multitude of reasons, but the most significant is the 6400 uses a different FPGA board and doesn't have a connector or related components to host a second SCU. If you got beyond that, the SCUs in a 6600 are higher-performance on the 6600. If you managed to get beyond that, you would need to add another preselector board. And then you would need firmware changes to support it. 

Compared with the 6700,6500 and 6300, the modularity of the 6600/6400 series radios is beneficial, especially when we need to service them, but the component assemblies are not like legos.

Now, there is nothing to stop you running two (or more) instances of SmartSDR connected to two different radios on the same PC, I do that all the time.  Two radios operating RTTY on different antennas and bands is an obvious one for contests.

Another scenario is one radio at my QTH and the other remote.  For example, tt's pretty cool to be trying to work an EU station split from my Austin station and knowing exactly where the QRM is in the EU.  Or, checking band conditions to know how well your signal is making it there, and vice versa.  There have been many times when I put the PGXL on standby because I knew that I didn't need it.

Dan, N7HQ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.