Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ideas on using two 6500's at the same time

Dale KB5VE
Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
edited January 2017 in New Ideas
When the 6000 series came out we had a lot of questions and mine centered on the multi receivers and different antennas. Havering the flex 5000 I naturally wanted to keep what it would do but there was a price for that. In the end I went with the 6500 and am glad I did. But I still kept my thoughts on what I wanted to end up with. Now that I have used since they were released mine is a limited edition #50. I still want the abilities to listen on different freq with c Different antennas at the same time,example 169/80/40 wire and log periodic covering the rest of the bands including 6 meters. You say Dale you should have bought a 6700 and I agree but there were some other thought going in my mind. My answer appears to be to buy two 6500's and run two instances of smart sdr when transmitting the other radio would be muted. I have no interest in the two meter capability. As time goes on I feel there will be a smart computer gru who will have more sophisticated uses of multi 6500. Yes I know a 6700 would be a little cheaper but look what you get, two complete radios two transmitters and the ability to take one to another location if you want to. At this point I am just putting what I can do on paper but I feel it will fall into what I want to do. As far as managing the two programs running naturally two screens is great but think sitting at your desk with a 40" 1080 hd 120 refresh rate screen sitting 30 inch in front of you, in my case on it would be two smart sdr sessions running in predetermined screen segments , my wave node wattmeter monitoring multi radios and multi amps selected, my alpha 8410 monitor program and what ever digital and logging program you want to have going. Sounds like a modern crime lab! Don't discount the 40 inch monitor I talked Mike K5ux into doing it and he will tell you he would have it any other way and he has only one 6500 on it. This is my thoughts so how about some of you visionaries out there telling me what you think. What are the problems you see and what are the possibilities?

Comments

• Warren Elly
    Warren Elly Member
    edited November 2013
    How do you plan to mute the 6500 you are not taking to air??? I've been trying to figure out how to do that so I can run the 6500 with other transmitters from my antique radio collection!
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Well that is the reason for the post I feel that steering your delay on transmit and tying the amp keying to the ptt on the second unit and vice versa will do it. You can use RCA one for your amp and RCA two to key the second rig. In the case of the 6500 no audio in no output. I did this with the sdr 1000, 1500,3000 and the 5000 to alow me to use other transmitters never had a problem. With the 6000 series you have a lot of keying options.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Also has anyone set the second slice to the same frequency they are talking on and notice you see your output on the second slice ? It appears to be a little different wave form than the wave form on my primary slice which I am transmitting on.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.