Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

IC7300 Manual Released

13»

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I completely disagree.

Expressing euphoria for any material object in any forum is as much a form of freedom of speech as it is Paul's opinion or yours about the "illogical" euphoric reaction of people to those same objects.

I don't agree with anyone that is belligerent. But baring insulting and attacking someone personally (and controlling that unwelcome behavior the job of a moderator) I am completely pro freedom of speech.

Where else will anyone be able to praise or elevate to the status of a demigod any material object but in the manufacturer's forum? Same place where some people decide to reduce its status of that of "unholy expensive absurd" product.

I am free to read or not a post, and I am free to respond or not in any of them. I am free to ignore someone's comments even more when some are clearly using elicitation techniques. 

I don't think reducing the scope of the forum to technical questions will benefit anyone.

Also.... now that I turned the "rant" mode on. I absolutely despise the typical comments where someone writes in a post saying something like "this post should be closed" or "this should be moderated" or the like..... who are they to decide? And if they think it should be close... why are they commenting and adding to the post? Isn't that the opposite of their sentiment? /rant off

I welcome the insight these discussions create in this forum that is mostly populated by very knowledgeable individuals.

• Joe, KQ1Q
    Joe, KQ1Q Member
    edited March 2016
    In general the definition of SDR in this context is all major signal processing functions (not just filtering and noise reduction) are performed by software. The ARRL has recently updated the General Class License Manual (8th ed) and question pool to reflect this. It is now a test question for people taking the exam.

Whether the RF is downconverted first (e.g, Flex 5000) or direct sampled, whether the processing happens on the client or server side, if detection/demodulation happen in software it is an SDR by the current ARRL definition.

It is also the general industry definition. As can be seen in this National Semiconductor video, at 00:15 he shows an analog + DSP signal chain contrasted with an SDR signal chain: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sspSh7o3x_A

This is also obvious from common sense. My Denon stereo receiver uses traditional analog methods to receive commercial FM broadcasts, then digitizes the AF and does extensive processing (including bass management, speaker time delay and parametric EQ) in the digital domain. However nobody would claim it is a "Software Defined Radio" just because it receives FM signals and uses extensive DSP to filter and process that.
  • G4IUA
    G4IUA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That was very informative Howard.  Will you be presenting another paper at Friedrichshafen this year?  It would be great to meet up with some of the FlexRadio users there too.

Jeff - G4IUA
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Actually Sal, I pretty much agree with much of what you just said. I do, however, believe there is such a thing as being overly hyperbolic, this is especially true in the midst of what would otherwise be a reasoned conversation. I think the problem arises when people become offended. That offense could be the result of a personal attack or as a result of the perception one is not displaying the proper amount of loyalty or attribution to the radio or the vendor. When that occurs a negative feedback loop generally develops which is when the thread runs the risk of spiralling out of control. All of this risk could be avoided in a strictly online "I have a problem when I try to do ..." forum. That doesn't mean that would be my first choice but it does resolve the displays of emotion on here. Paul, it is a very good radio. Operationally it is different.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I very much appreciate the recent posts by both Sal and Walt!  I think we're all together in wanting open and enthusiastic dialog and investigation.  The stickler and the huge variance is how much bias is brought to the discussion by virtue of owning a given radio.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    How how an analogue radio vs sdr does depends on the test. It's most likely both radios specs are well beyond typical or even extreme environmental stress. Good enough is good enough 73 W9OY
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I think bias comes as much from perceived "need" or preference as it does from ownership. You do learn from that discuussion. You tend to need microsecond QSK response, I do not. But it makes me ask myself "why is Barry so hot for that level of qsk?" It's at that blunt interface where knowledge develops. 73. W9OY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.