Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

IC7300 Manual Released

The manual has been leaked/released, it appears. Interesting read, as we finally get an idea of it's receive capability. I'll let you all be the judge...http://www.mwe.dk/IC-7300.PDF

Comments

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I notice in the receive specifications that the 7300 has a 36kHz IF??  If that's the case its not using DDS as they advertise but has a Direct conversion front end with base band A/D conversion like the Flex3000/5000....
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited February 2016
    It says it's using a direct sampling superhet on receive.... so yeah...

Spurious and image rejection not even close to the 6300, let alone the 100dB in the 65/6700. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Its target market is the Ic706, ic7000 Low cost not world class performance. Looks like a 1st generation SDR
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It's direct sampling RF to digital.  They just digitally re-sample to use their already existing 36KHz dsp software library.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It IS direct sampling.  I say it's going to be an excellent low cost radio but as far as SDR, it will have worst-in-class spectrum display - very low resolution.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Is the  bar for that now at UHD for spectrum display? It shows where stuff is....doesn't need to be UHD. It might **** the TS-590. I suspect there is still a solid 6 months before anyone can discern what impact, if any, it will have. I don't suspect Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom consider Elecraft a major manufacturer either. Kinda like Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and Honda not considering Tesla a major auto manufacturer either....huh Howard?
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    No, the bar for that now is something better than this:

Inline image 1

Yup, that's actually as good as the IC-7300 display gets, even on an external monitor.  Reminds  me of the Ten-Tec Orion Sweep circa 2002.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Barry, did you mean that to be simply text? "Inline image". It looked fine to me, plus, it's software, they can spend a few more hours and make it better. It took me a bit of time to get the spectrum and waterfall really sexy.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    This is the actual diagram http://forum.qrz.ru/attachments/338-ic-7300/158703d1456442991-ic-7300-ic-7300_schematic_diagram_0.pd...
    of the 7300 if anyone is interested in analyzing it.

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Wow...when is Heathkit going to come out with it's version of this?
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have recently come across (wink) a collection of 500 Ham Radio equipment manuals. Some are quite old. I will do requests, my email is good on qrz.com.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Walt, are you not seeing the panadapter image posted?  I see it fine here.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The 7300 uses a 4.3 inch diagonal TFT display. Maestro has an 8 inch diagonal WXGA IPS HD display for comparison.  As you all know, you can scale the SmartSDR display to virtually any size and resolution.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Barry, no. I am just seeing the text "inline image 1", with no associated inline image.
    Gerald, if you are responding to my comment. I was not comparing a $1500 radio with a $7500 radio. But, similarly, I was not comparing a $1500 radio with a $1200 GUI.
    Actually, the **** of my comment was sort of a response to someone's thread where they were going to put up a 55" $3000 UHD tv as a monitor for the 6x00. Now that is how I spell devotion.

Barry, the picture of you, the 6x00 images to the right, the blue submit button all come through fine...just your "inline image 1" doesn't.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Walt, perhaps it's the browser you're using.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The IC-7300 looks like a down sized entry level version of my IC-7800 (which by the way has been collecting dust since I received my Flex-6700).  The 7300 seems a tad too large to be a replacement for the IC-706 series, IC-7000, or IC-7100.  My guess is, this is ICOM's attempt to test the SDR mid-to-lower end market.  

As for displays.  IMHO FRS has pretty much thrown down the gauntlet when it comes to spectrum displays.  Adding a large UHD screen, while not absolutely necessary, for me is just icing on the cake.  I enjoy the flexibility of the Flex spectrum display and that any sized screen can be used.  Price aside,  I much prefer tuning viewing a large high resolution spectrum display, than looking at a frequency dial and a run-of-the-mill small screen band scope with minimal viewing capability..., but I'm guessing I'm preaching to the choir. :^))     
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Not likely.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Here's a spectral display that has my appetite whetted, SDR-Console v3 being driven by Flex 6500 DAX IQ:

(software is not yet available)
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    BTW Barry, that came through fb.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The other thing about that Barry, beyond being pretty, what does that convey.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In a nutshell:
    lower left shows AGC curve (SSDR AGC parameters are a mystery)
    upper left shows tx audio spectrum of tuned station
    waterfall looks like SSDR except it adds two vertical lines showing your rx passband   -  I find it easier to tune in a signal with this than a mouse pointer
    panadapter shows:
        peak hold in yellow outline
        rx passband highlighted (like SSDR)
        panadapter trace is color coded for signal strength (mainly just looks very cool)
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Do not misunderstand Barry, I think the graphics are awesome. As I said earlier, it took me some time to get a 7 color waterfall to look 'right'. So this is colorizing a spectrum display, on the technical merits, it is, also, awesome. But cpu/gpu wise, it is expensive and my question was sincere, what does it endow to an pan spectrum display more than what a drawLine does. I was toying with the idea, just for poops and giggles, making a 3d spectrum display. (nothing FRS couldn't do) but I questioned the value add over a waterfall. I have never, in my entire working career, done true graphical software, ala what you show or, frankly, what I've done in the last however many months. This, visualization, is a fascinating subfield of software development.
  • Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    My friend reported that IC7300 preforms very poorly under the high level of input.   He uses 80 meter long windom antenna that yields +3dBm input of 882Khz commercial broadcasting station.   The 4th order of the signal, 3528Khz fall into 3.5Mhz band with S9+ signal strength.   He needed >15dB external attenuator to eliminate such problem.  It is supposed to be caused by the PIN diode switch ICOM uses at the front-end.   Flex6500 did not show any of such problem under the same operating condition, of course.

73 de JI1BNU
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It is not really fair to compare it with the Flex, It seems to be very entry level. But what I do like is it being an SDR mobile radio.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I doubt any TS-590 user would give up their radio for a 7300!   They may be in the same price range but the 7300 has only one antenna port! 
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The image is visible to me from multiple computers/locations/browsers.  Anybody else not seeing it?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I don't see it either
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    okay, sorry Walt and Sal.  Don't know what to do about that.
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited March 2016
    Barry, I don't see it on the actual thread page, but the picture displays correctly on the email I got regarding your post. Strange. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.