Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I was wondering how long it takes your flex 6000 software to start

Len
Len Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have a I5 cpu 3200 mhz and ssd hard drive and it takes about 30 - 45 seconds to start flex 6500 software can any of you give me how long yours takes

Thanks

Len

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015

I have a Dell 8500 with a custom-installed 256 GB SSD and it takes about 3 seconds with Windows 10. The three seconds is after the radio, itself, boots up.

Jim, K6QE

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    My I7 takes about 2 seconds to start ssdr and 1 second to connect and display.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Within a couple of seconds here, click on the Icon, connect screen instant, double click on 6500 and within a second Smartsdr is up..  73s Jim K4JAF
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I think your question and the answers received are apples and oranges.

Discounting the radio itself for now, let's assume it is fully running, about a 45 sec to 60 second process which has nothing to do with your computer.

When SmartSDR starts it first has to load, then wait for discovered radios to appear in the discovery listbox. Then, you select a radio to connect to and click on Connect. From the point of clicking on connect it should take a couple of seconds to have a fully populated screen.

If your radio is not started before you start SmartSDR then the total startup time will be 45 seconds or so to a minute. I've never timed radio startup time, but it goes through several intervals punctuated by relays clicking. I believe there are 3 of those cycles and another click when the connect() method is invoked (when you click on Connect.

If just starting SmartSDR takes that long just to get to the discovery screen, you have a badly fragmented drive or a bad drive.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    About 2 or 3 seconds here for the software to load. If you are powering on your radio at the same time, it will take a bit longer for the radio to boot up and announce itself on the network so that SSDR can discover it.

• Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Atom Z3770, Windows 10 on Lenovo Thinkpad 8 tablet. From icon to finder 3-seconds. From finder to audio, 3-seconds.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    For all intents and purposes the I5 running at 3.2GHz is functionally the same as an I7 running at 3.2GHz.  In fact the I5 normally running at 3.2GHz likely bursts up close to 4GHz.  The I5 and I7, not sure about I3, have what is known as Burst Mode, which allows the chip to run at the higher speed provided the power, temp, and current are below specs. There is nothing wrong with your chip and, given, the base speed, there is likely nothing wrong with your computer either.
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    i have a Dell XPS 8700 Intel i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6GHz, 1TB HD and it takes about 3 seconds for the software to boot. the radio itself takes about 45 seconds or so and it takes several minutes for the GPS to lock onto a satellite.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    ASUS AMD FX-8120 3.1 GHz (8 core) with 8 GB RAM:

SSDR software start:  between 1 & 2 seconds
        Connect to 6500:    less than 1 second.

Is this what you were asking about?

73, Duane  AC5AA
  • Robert Karz
    Robert Karz Member
    edited July 2017
    I have a 6300 and a 3.4Ghz I5 CPU.  The smart SDR software comes up in a few seconds, but the 6300 takes almost a minute until it's ready.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Which were you talking about Len, how long it takes the radio (6500) to start or how long it takes SmartSDR to start. The two are orthogonal. The radio will start up and broadcast it's presence in around 45 +/- seconds. That is merely the radio, having nothing to do with display. The display program, which has nothing to do with converting signals from you antenna, takes a second or two to get to the point where, if is 'sees' a radio will show it in the list box and another second or two to display the first panadapter once you've clicked on Connect.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Orthogonal? Their cross product is equal to zero or statistically independent?
  • Len
    Len Member
    edited August 2015
    I appreciate all of you answering me I guess I have some problem    It works fine but just takes to much time  I will reload everything

Again thanks all,
    Len
  • Len
    Len Member
    edited August 2015
    seemsif the radio not started   it only takes software 2-3 seconds  but it doesn't see the radio  then I start the radio   about 45 seconds it sees the radio and I see the radio in the software and it starts right away   I am sorry I am not using the right words to describe this but     does this sound right?

Len
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Again not sure what your are referring to as far as times....  I just tried it here, it takes 50 seconds for the radio (6500) to calibrate and come up and show on the SmartSDR screen, from that point on, only seconds for the panadapter screen to be displayed...  73s Jim K4JAF
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I think we are talking the same thing Len, if you are seeing 45 seconds for the radio to show on the SmartSDR chooser screen, I think you are right on the money.... Jim
  • Len
    Len Member
    edited August 2015
    Thanks Jim yes I think we have it

again appreciate all the help from everyone

Len WA7ZXZ
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I'm running an i7-920, 12 GB and Win 7.  It takes about 4:30 to boot up from cold start to an idle desktop.  (Yes, I think that's too long!) The point is to be sure your computer has finished all its booting activity before you start doing other timing measurements. The Task Manager is your friend.

It takes about 6 seconds to bring up the "discovery" window of SSDR on my 6500 and another couple of seconds to bring up a display -- the first time. It probably has to find all its libraries etc.  If you quit and restart SSDR, the libraries are still in RAM and it's much faster -- about 2 seconds to discovery.

I assume we're not talking about the 6500's own boot time, from power off through "calibrate" to ready. I get about 50 seconds for that, like other folks.

73 Martin AA6E
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Len, You might consider leaving the radio on 24-7. The current radio firmware seems stable. I haven't had to restart my 6300 since I installed 1.4.16 over a month ago.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015

Wonder what the life of the side fans is?

• Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That's a point worth considering. I hope FRS uses good quality, ball bearing fans. On the other hand, my PC has been running 24-7 for five years minus some short maintenance time out periods. If the 6300's fan does as well, it will be worth it.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mine runs pretty much 24/7 except for when I shut it down during major storms, or when I need to reset software after Windows 10 upgrades require me to reload SSDR and all its components.  (Hopefully the final-initial release of Win10 will not require this any more.

In any case, When I DO power down and reboot, I always do it in this order:
    1) power OFF rig.
    2) Reboot Computer and wait for it to finish.
    3) Power up the rig and wait for it to finish (and the nickname shows on the control panel of the 6500),
    4) Then I start SSDR and click CONNECT.

It might not be necessary, but I like to let the rig finish negotiating all of its connections first.   I guess I have had too many experiences with earlier releases of Windows  (like 3.1 and 95) where doing too many things at the same time caused Windows to get "confused" and crash.  Old habits die hard!

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Walt's answer is very complete.

But I don't think I have even HEARD the word Orthogonal since I Majored in Math & Physics in college!  (1977-1981)  And I haven't heard it in this context for a long time!  Thanks for stretching my vocabulary, Walt!  <Grin>
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Re: Fans - I've been running nearly continuously since getting my 6500 2 years ago. No noticeable issues. On the speed thing, my experience is about what most everyone else has. A few seconds for SSDR. Rig booting about a minute.
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

With the Flex 6500 transceiver fully booted, 1 to 2 seconds for the "Radio Setup" applet to load and 1 to 2 seconds after clicking "Connect" for SSDR to load and fully display the panadapter. Dell 8700 with i7 4790 CPU @ 3.6 GHZ, 16 GB RAM and 32 GB SSD cache paired with 1 GB hard drive.

CPU utilization is about 5% on average running SSDR with one panadapter, full DX Labs Suite, two browsers open, Outlook e-mail, DDUtil  and three anti-virus apps. CPU utilization increases to 10% on average with four panadapters.  

Larry KB1VFU

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I only vaguely remember cross products, so Jim, thanks for stretching my vocabulary!! That would have been 68 or 69 maybe earlier. My next mind stretching project after my current projects is self taught calculus 1 - 4. Calc-1 is refresher.
    @Ken, I enjoyed the heck out of physics. I think my interest waned when I had to compute the min speeds 33 1/3 record would have to spin to dislodge a fly , presumably dead, from it.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Actually it is the dot product that is zero for two vectors that are orthogonal. If the cross product is zero the vectors are parallel.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Aw, now you're just showing off. ;-) Dot products, vaguely remember those too
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Divergence and curl!
  • Len
    Len Member
    edited August 2015
    Thanks everyone I figured it out its running fine now I was starting it wrong

Len

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.